Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #151
blip01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this again on Sat. Hit 1.094 w/ BIAB! I'm going to soak oak cubes and vanilla beans in bourbon, then add to the secondary.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #152
Davst
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTROVERT
I brewed this recipe Saturday - my first ever all grain brew. Talk about diving right in. I bought a used three tier brew sculpture from a local guy, 3 10 gallon stainless kettles each with their own burner. It worked great... but, as a newbie, I quickly learned things I need to do differently next time out and I'm worried about how it's all going to turn out in the long run.

First questionable thing I did: I made a yeast starter the day before the brew (long enough in advance?) and I made it small. I only had 4 oz of DME. I had it in a bomber with brown glass, so I couldn't see it very well - but it did develop a head and an aroma so it worked but to what extent I don't know. I poured my wort in the bottle through a funnel then tried to pour my liquid yeast in the same way - duh - the liquid yeast poured on through but the hard yeast (the cake?) just got stuck and I had to force as much through as I could with a sanitized straw. So I don't know if I didn't get enough yeast in the wort in the first place. Is the hard part dead yeast?

Prior to 24 hours my brew surface had developed a small head and the blowoff this morning was bubbling once every four or five seconds... it's only been 36 hours.

So - it appears to be working.

Can't wait to do it again!
Don't worry. Your wort will generally try its best to become beer if you don't do anything adverse to it

Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #153
brucedelta
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Brewed this on New Years Day, racking it to secondary tonight. I soaked about a cup of oak chips in Knob Creek and I am going to transfer it on top of those.

I will let you know how it tastes in another 2 months.
Did those who put liquor in like the result?

I have some oak chips that have been soaking in Laphroig single malt scotch for about 60 days now. I have been aiming to use them is a big stout that I am now planing on brewing this weekend. Seems like many people have added various liquors or vanilla beans to this for success, and I am going to try it with some scotch. Wish me luck.

I have 2 adjustments planed, let me know what you think.
1) Use WLP001 - Should be cleaner and allow more of the scotch smoky flavor to come through is my thinking.
2) Use Maris Otter malt since it has a little higher potential and I have been suffering some efficiency problems since starting AG brewing a 4 months ago.

I am going to begin my starter tomorrow and do a 2 stage step up starter for this.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #154
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Got all the ingredients today to brew this. I am using crystal 120 instead of special b since I have that on hand. This is going to be the beer I drink to celebrate the birth of our second child in around 7 months. So right at its prime from what I read. I am gong to take a second runnings (parti-gyle) to do a brown ale or maybe a porter depending on my efficiency. Can wait to brew this RIS is my favorite style.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #155
Ply318ci
Recipes 

I just brewed this today and did a parti-gyle from this. I got 1.096 OG for the RIS and a OG of 1.040 for the second running. I added some ground coffee to the second running after it cooled below 100 degrees total steeping time of about 10-15 minutes. Can't wait to taste this. Will report back in 2-3 weeks when I bottle the second running. Will be a while before bottling the RIS.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #156
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can someone who's bottle conditioned for carbonation chime in to let us non-keggers know if bottling yeast is needed on this one? I've still got a few months before bottling, but would like to know in advance if I can just add some priming sugar or if I'm going to have to add some yeast too.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #157
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Update on my brew. I pitched Nottingham in the RIS and S-04 in the small stout and now a little over 24 hours later the S-04 (which took off first) has stopped bubbling but did manage to overflow the airlock. The Nottingham is still going strong a bubble or two every second and it way overflowed the air lock. No pictures sorry but I have never had yeast this vigorous before. Can't wait to try it.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #158
boilmeimirish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
Can someone who's bottle conditioned for carbonation chime in to let us non-keggers know if bottling yeast is needed on this one? I've still got a few months before bottling, but would like to know in advance if I can just add some priming sugar or if I'm going to have to add some yeast too.

Thanks!
I found after the first two batches that adding a little yeast goes a long way in bottling, otherwise it seems this beer is consistently a little less carbonated than I like.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #159
nufad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this up a month ago, and planned to age it in a secondary for a few more months. However, I'd like to use the spare carboy for another beer. Is there a significant difference between bulk aging this beer in a secondary versus bottle conditioning for 3-4 months (other than the fact that bulk aging will likely reduce the flavour variability between bottles)?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #160
Ply318ci
Recipes 

That is what I plan on doing as well. I hear the only real difference is that it ages faster in bulk vs. bottles. Either way a beer that is this big and complex won't be drunk for awhile so I am sure it will age fine no matter what.