Oops I didn't mean sparge with 3.5 qts, I meant gallons.
But 6 hours later and I'm done. My OG was 1.051. I'm pretty happy with that.
I did have a couple mishaps. My mash temp ranged from about 156F at dough in, I got it down to 152 after about 10 mins and it held there for a good 30 mins, then it went south to 148 and 146. I added some boiling water and stirred but it didn't seem to help much.
When I pulled the grain from the mashtun it weighed SO MUCH! I'm a 28 year old dude and that thing was heavy. Probably 30-35 lbs to hold in an awkward position. I held it as long as I could and I was rapidly thinking of what I could do. I had a big bowl so I plopped the grain bag in there and it overflowed. I held the bag above the bowl a few times and dumped that wort into my mashtun. Finally I gave up, and when I dunked the grainbag into the 5 gallon sparge kettle with 3.5 gallons of water in it, it overflowed! Ahhhh. Too much leftover moisture in the bag! Anyway that was my last mistake as I rigged a ghetto pulley system above the stove attached to a kitchen cabinet door. haha prob not safe but it worked.
Anyway I'm happy to report my American Amber is in the primary and ready to go! I definitely learned some things from my first all grain. All I gotta say is that was tough. It might be a little while before I try that again haha.