Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Are My Hops Deaderoonies?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
ekasbury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are My Hops Deaderoonies?

Hey,

I live in Denver, planted 4 rhizomes last year - 2 Cascades, a Galena and a Mt Hood. The Galenda did gangbusters, relatively, during the 1st year. The Mt. Hood, not so much and the Cascades were the same. As of about a week ago, the Galena is blowing up out there. It's already 2 or so ft off the ground. The Mt Hood is also alive and thriving. But, no sign of anything from the Cascades. How do I know if they're dead? I fear I may have missed my window to get replacement rhizomes, but if not, I'd like to get something new in the ground before I miss out on the growing season. Is it normal that some varieties would take off sooner than others? Is there a maneuver I can do to verify if my Cascades are still alive and kicking?

Thanks!

- Elliott

Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

patience it is still early.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most of mine just sprouted today. I am in Aurora. If you need to trade for some more Cascades, I can probably set you up. I have Centennial if you want any.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 277

There's a chance the Cascades were planted a little deeper which would account for the others showing first. As was said, give them a week or two. You still have plenty of time to to get some more in the ground if they don't show - I kinda doubt if you'll have to replant though.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Worse case scenario- dig it up. First start slow dig by hand look for any sprouts. If you see no sprouts get a shovel. If you find a rhizome or crown your fine.

I had a nugget die on me when I went to dig it up I found nothing. I think it composted in the ground. Like Obi Wan it just dissappeared.

I honestly agree with the other guys. Leave it alone. But if you can't sleep at night -go find it.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Wait and watch. I don't have Cascades, but Goldings with buds several inches long, Northern Brewers and Nuggets with buds at most an inch long, and Centennials, Perles, & Willamettes with only buds. It's early. Trust the plant.

Also, I let curiosity get the best of me last year and went digging in what I thought was a careful fashion, only to break off the buds on a Mount Hood. It died. If your plant is alive, it will grow if given half a chance, and will do better unmolested. If it's dead, you are wasting your time digging anyway. If it doesn't grow in a couple of weeks, there is still time to purchase and plant another rhizome.