sanitizing question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sanitizing question

Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
tim1970
Recipes 

Mar 2007

I am now on the 2nd fermentation stage of my first brew, and the only thing that I consider a negative in the whole thing is sanitizing. For my first brew I soaked everything in a bleach solution. Trying to get the bleach smell out of a 5 and 7 gallon carboy is not fun

I was thinking, for all my equipment except for the carboys, I could put them in my dishwasher without detergent. My dishwasher has a sanitize setting where it superheats the water. Do you think this would work??

Also what is the best sanitizer to use? I don't mind the sanitizing, but I would really like something that will rinse away quicker and easier.

Tim

Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1622 Times on 1050 Posts

Use any no-rinse sanitizer available online or at your local brew store. Star San and Iodaphor are very popular and cheap enough. No rinse, no bleach smell.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 520 Times on 419 Posts

For an analysis of exactly HOW cheap, read here...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23791

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Indianapolis,IN
Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts

i use star san, but i still have to rinse, because of the sudsy looking bubbles it leaves behind after i shake/agitate whatever it is i'm sanitizing.

brian

my bar build

Old 03-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
docbee
Recipes 

Sep 2006

How much bleach have you been using? I use bleach due to iodine allergies in the family and only use 2 oz per 5 gals with a 30 min soak while getting evrything set up. The odor is not strong at all and a couple of blasts with the bottle washer attachment and very hot water and it is rinsed and no odor at all.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 78 Times on 59 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to rinse off Star-San foam other than esthetics's. What you can do in the future though is to avoid shaking up the Star-San solution so much and avoid making so much foam in the first place. When adding it to your fermenter, don't pour it, siphon it. Then just gently swirl it around and slowly pour it out. You will end up with barely any foam, and what does stay behind is harmless and will not impart any off flavors to your brew.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I'm a big fan of Iodophor as long as you don't mind a little staining (not an issue on glass). It's cheap, requires 2 minutes of contact (although I go with 5), and no rinsing.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 336 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian williams
i use star san, but i still have to rinse, because of the sudsy looking bubbles it leaves behind after i shake/agitate whatever it is i'm sanitizing.

brian
It's perfectly OK to leave the bubbles. Go ahead and rack on them.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #9
Tony

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Saugus, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
There is absolutely no reason to rinse off Star-San foam other than esthetics's...
Exactly. It does leave a film on surfaces, which helps protect items you have sanitized long after they have dried. I love it and have not had any issues with it.

If you are really worried about the foam, use Sani Clean which is basically the same thing, but without the foam.
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
tim1970
Recipes 

Mar 2007

Thanks for all the advice. I will definately look into one of the two choices mentioned above.

How about using the sanitize setting on my dishwasher for smaller items. Would this be adequate. Also, I read somewhere that if I wash my bottles in the dishwasher, that I shouldn't use dishwasher detergent. Is this true?

Tim