Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long is too long dry hopping in secondary

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
davcar74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default how long is too long dry hopping in secondary

I have an IIPA in secondary closing in on four weeks dryhopping with (if I remember correctly) 2 oz whole centennial. I am hoping to bottle this weekend before I go away, but may not get to it. Will another week or two hurt?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

You don't want to go too long with dry hopping. After about 10 days folks report a grassy flavor to the beer.

Wait, you dry hopped for 4 weeks???? um in that case it's probably unlikely that it's gonna do anything that already didn't happen.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
davcar74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks....oops. I guess that's why its called the beginners forum....I'm pretty sure I had a reason for doing that, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember it and, apparently, it must have been wrong. I will bottle this weekend and hope for the best.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Farmer_Ted
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a similar question. What if I dry hopped in the primary (10 days) but then moved the batch to a secondary container where it has been for a couple weeks? I was not ready to bottle at the time but I needed the bucket so I just transfered it. Will this have the same "grassy" taste or, since it was moved to a secondary container, will it be fine?

TIA!!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
JuanKenobi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Ted View Post
I have a similar question. What if I dry hopped in the primary (10 days) but then moved the batch to a secondary container where it has been for a couple weeks? I was not ready to bottle at the time but I needed the bucket so I just transfered it. Will this have the same "grassy" taste or, since it was moved to a secondary container, will it be fine?

TIA!!
You'll be fine. After all bottling is really just another transfer. The grassy thing is from being exposed to the plant material of the hops too long.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nothing can be done about it now, so don't worry about it. Age it for a while for conditioning and enjoy your crafted beer.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

theres no gaurentee you get a grassy flavor from >10 days exposure so dont give up hope. ive had beer that was dry-hopped much longer with no issues. if you're worried, just add another dose for a few days before you bottle

Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
davcar74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tasted this after 16 days in the bottle and its not bad at all....pretty good actually. maybe some off flavors in the grassy dept., but it could also be that its still just young....thanks for the advice. Just goes to show you to not worry too much about this process and enjoy it.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Mogref
Recipes 

I brewed an IPA last October, had it in primary for a couple weeks, then put it in secondary and dry hopped it. Life got in the way and it sat there in secondary until March. I decided it was time to see if it was still any good so I tasted a sample. It wasnt bad at all, might as well bottle it right? Now I'm sad that I'm down to the last few bottles of it! It's quite good. Don't worry, I think it will be fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
davcar74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

gotta be honest...and i am usually hard on myself...this came out basically perfect...flavors are spot on...thanks all for replies and help...maybe I got lucky