Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partigyle Sparge Technique (advice please)

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
nickrjsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partigyle Sparge Technique (advice please)

Hi,

I'm going to do a partigyle (my first) next week and wanted some advice.

I have read that the way to go is generally just collect 6 gals of the first runnings without sparging. Then sparge the rest.

My thoughts are this.

If I just collect the first 6 gals. There won't be much liquor left in the mashtun. Will the simple process of sparging be enough to draw out the last of the sugar from the grains?

Or should I add some more water, let it sit for 30 mins or so then sparge? I imagine this might help to soak out the last bits from the grains.

thanks - Nick

Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

What's your grain bill look like and how many batches do you plan on getting out of the parti-gyle?

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...Gyle_Simulator

In the second sentence there is a link for an excel document. It's extremely accurate. I've used it a few times.
This works really well.. I always just winged it but my last parti-gyle batch I used the simulator and my 3 runnings were very close to what it said.. I got 3 5gal batches out of 18# of grain.. The simulator also allows you to see what the result is when you add more grains for a second sacrification(mash) rest for a different style of brew from the next runnings..
Father of 4 girls

Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
nickrjsmith
Recipes 

I can do up to 16lbs of grain. I'm hoping for two beers, around a 1055 & 1035 ish... 5 gals each.

is this about possible do you think?

I normally use a little demerera sugar for extra bumpf and give it that english sweet/dry finish.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrjsmith
I can do up to 16lbs of grain. I'm hoping for two beers, around a 1055 & 1035 ish... 5 gals each.

is this about possible do you think?

I normally use a little demerera sugar for extra bumpf and give it that english sweet/dry finish.
When you get a chance, try out the simulator. Use 1.5liter for every # of grain and convert it to gallons and input it into the simulator to see your what volume of runoff is and what the gravity is. It will even tell you what your gravity is when you combine your runnings...

Father of 4 girls