Welding 101 = Brew Stand build #2 - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Welding 101 = Brew Stand build #2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
SouthernYankee
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Monroe, GA
Posts: 421
Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts


Got around to painting and adding the casters and burners.
Top half is painted with 1200 degree heat resistant paint.

Still working on the hard plumbing.






 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
chipsah
Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
chipsah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 146
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Looks great, subscribed. Maybe this will inspire me to learn welding and stop using the Lowe's shelving I have as a brewstand... Maybe.


__________________
-r

Off the Wagon Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Brewer View Post
My theory is that OCD is only a disorder if you don't know how to channel it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
40watt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
, ok
Posts: 686
Liked 74 Times on 42 Posts


Were does a person order that steel tubing? It's not like they have it laying around at the hardware store.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
ghart999
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Denver
Posts: 511
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Yankee,

I too built my first stand from your inspiration. But I recently sold it and am in the midst of my second with some thing I realized I wanted to change. I actually went from 62" wide to 60". What made you go longer?

Also why did you move away from the expandable stem casters? Price?

I am going with stainless steel as I hated the painting part of it.

Subscribed and good luck.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
nyer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 888
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Is the black paint the barbeque paint that they sell at Lowes? I still need to paint mine and I would love to go with a silver but I figure the regular black would be easier to touch up. What did you use for the silver on the bottom?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
SouthernYankee
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Monroe, GA
Posts: 421
Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Yankee,

I too built my first stand from your inspiration. But I recently sold it and am in the midst of my second with some thing I realized I wanted to change. I actually went from 62" wide to 60". What made you go longer?

Also why did you move away from the expandable stem casters? Price?

I am going with stainless steel as I hated the painting part of it.

Subscribed and good luck.
I went longer for two reasons.
1. I added onto the two empty spaces next to the burners because of the heat. I made them wider on this build.
2. Also I made the center a little wider then the two burner ends. The center will be used as a shelf or even for the Mash Tun. The Mash Tun is a plastic cooler...so once again I wanted the extra distance because of the heat.
I wanted to add expanded metal for the center. But I like the wooden look. I might just build another wooden platform center for this one.

Overall length for the first build to this one is only by 1 inch.
Original stand length is 62 inches.. This one 63.

For the casters...your right, The price. From about 70 bucks on the original stand to $16 for this one.

For the painting part of the stand. This paint job took me less then an hour to do. Krylon barbecue and stove paint you can find at Walmart. But Lowe's and HD sell barbeque paint as well.
The silver paint is just a Rust-Olem brand metallic paint.

I dont mind painting it. Touch up is really easy with the black paint, It isnt glossy but a flat paint. So it dries in a matter of mins.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
nyer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 888
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
I went longer for two reasons.
1. I added onto the two empty spaces next to the burners because of the heat. I made them wider on this build.
2. Also I made the center a little wider then the two burner ends. The center will be used as a shelf or even for the Mash Tun. The Mash Tun is a plastic cooler...so once again I wanted the extra distance because of the heat.
I wanted to add expanded metal for the center. But I like the wooden look. I might just build another wooden platform center for this one.

Overall length for the first build to this one is only by 1 inch.
Original stand length is 62 inches.. This one 63.

For the casters...your right, The price. From about 70 bucks on the original stand to $16 for this one.

For the painting part of the stand. This paint job took me less then an hour to do. Krylon barbecue and stove paint you can find at Walmart. But Lowe's and HD sell barbeque paint as well.
The silver paint is just a Rust-Olem brand metallic paint.

I dont mind painting it. Touch up is really easy with the black paint, It isnt glossy but a flat paint. So it dries in a matter of mins.


Do you think you get get away with painting the silver all the way to the top of the lags and then doing the very top with the black? I'm wondering how hot the legs really get. I'd love to have almost all silver.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
SouthernYankee
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Monroe, GA
Posts: 421
Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
Do you think you get get away with painting the silver all the way to the top of the lags and then doing the very top with the black? I'm wondering how hot the legs really get. I'd love to have almost all silver.
Nope, Ive tried that with my other stand. I had it painted all the way up to the top part. The paint started to peel because of the heat. If you want to paint most of your stand. I would goto your local automotive store..There they sell header paint which is rated up to 2000.
It cost around $9 for a can and they sell all different colors.
You could try this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
nyer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Posts: 888
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


I will probably go with the black, it has to be easier to touch up when it gets scratched or burnt.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
worldzfree
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
seattle, washington
Posts: 100
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Looks nice! I see you have changed your heat shield/windshield design from your original stand. I would be interested in how you came about with the new design.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew Stand build (Mini Brew Stand) Espi Brew Stands 20 05-07-2011 01:06 AM
Brew Stand Build Ohio-Ed Brew Stands 31 03-29-2011 10:18 PM
My Brew Stand Build drumike102 Brew Stands 13 03-25-2011 01:08 AM
Welding a brew stand via the oxy-acetylene method? Golddiggie Brew Stands 12 03-19-2011 01:53 AM
Welding Single Tier Brew Stand piperbrew Brew Stands 22 02-28-2011 06:09 PM


Forum Jump