Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Aging: what exactly happens?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #141
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
My issue is the statement that it is a fact that autolysis is a result of entering the stationary phase. It is not.
Yes, I'm thinking in terms of the whole culture

I didn't mean to imply that cells die because they enter stationary phase. Cells will die during all stages of the culture cycle. It is more likely to occur during stationary phase than any other phase though. Certainly not because they are in stationary phase and certainly not the cause of stationary phase.

All I want to say is :

A) autolysis is a fact.

B) It is more likely to occur during stationary phase

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #142
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
The taste imparted by autolysis does vary from a pleasant bready, yeast taste, to meaty, or, if its really bad, rubbery.
That is why we were earlier wondering about the role of capric acid. It can easily smell rubbery/plasticy and very nasty.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #143
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I think a lot of the issues homebrewers have when they think of yeast is that they believe it works as a community, not billions of individual organisms.

I usually approach it from the opposing camp. Each little critter reacting to it's environment. The conditions are similar, but the reaction and timing differ.

I just didn't want someone to come across stationary phase = autolysis and misinterpret it to mean that they need rack off the primary ASAP.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #144
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I started reading a little in Birggs about flocculation and came across pages 377-8. Indyking might find it interesting that they use the term starvation...

"Commonly, flocculation occurs only when sources of fermentable sugars are exhausted. It has been suggested (Iserentant 1996) that under such starvation conditions the ability to form flocs may represent a stress response. Thus, flocs provide a sheltered environment where the chance of survival of the population is enhanced. Disaggregation of flocs occurs if the cells are again exposed to a source of fermentable sugar. The precise mechanism by which flocculation occurs is controversial… in brewing, flocculation occurs toward the end of primary fermentation…”

And it mentions inhibitors of flocculation to include glucose, mannose and maltose.

It does not seem to indicate that yeast cells become dormant when they flocculate. Flocculation seems to only be an adaptation to low/absent sugars but, at least in my interpretation so far, the flocculated yeast are still metabolizing.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #145
Ultima
Recipes 

Thanks to the civil among you for an informative thread! The most useful thing I got out of it was learning that the book Briggs' Brewing: Science and Practice exists, and then I was able to save myself several hundred dollars by tracking down a free PDF of the ENTIRE BOOK. Legality is questionable so I'm not going to link anything, but folks, it's out there!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #146
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
Thanks to the civil among you for an informative thread! The most useful thing I got out of it was learning that the book Briggs' Brewing: Science and Practice exists, and then I was able to save myself several hundred dollars by tracking down a free PDF of the ENTIRE BOOK. Legality is questionable so I'm not going to link anything, but folks, it's out there!
You can get almost any book, music or video for free on the internet as long as you know how to convert rar files. All available and almost all completely illegal. I'm not saying this just becuase I bought the book. I saw the files on the internet before I bought the book but I wanted the actual book and I know about rar files.

But, yes, I agree, the info there is really great.