Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wheat IPA (with Wyeast 1010) - Bad idea?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
dlm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat IPA (with Wyeast 1010) - Bad idea?

Hello all. I was recently given an IPA kit as a gift. I have a Northern Brewer Honeyweizen kit that Im planning on brewing next and that got me thinking if a Wheat IPA might work. What I was thinking was adding 3.15 lbs of wheat LME as a late addition to the kit, then reusing the yeast cake (Wyeast 1010) from the Honeyweizen. The kit has an OG of around 1.052 (so it would be around 1.074 if I add the extra LME) and the Honeyweizen should be around 1.048 so I think this would be a good warm-up for the yeast.

Im not a huge fan of IPAs, which is why Im considering this hybrid (abomination?) brew. I was thinking about adding some additional malt extract just to add a little more balance to the hops of the IPA. This then lead me to the idea of leveraging my Honeyweizen brew/yeast.

So, what do you all think? Could this end out making a nice brew, or just be weird? Any suggestions on how to improve my chances of success with this?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I made an India Wheat Ale (you can pay me later for the royalties on that phrase) last year and it came out great.

Although, I am not sure what yeast Wyeast 1010 is since I am not really familiar with their stuff.

However if you don't like IPAs I would question WHY you don't like them, and if you don't like them why you are considering making something like it. You are going to get a bitter, high hopped beer with more of a grainy character than "malty". If you don't like IPAs I am guessing it's probably because you don't like the bitterness or hop profile. Changing to wheat won't fix that.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
dlm3
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the quick response! 1010 is an American Wheat strain: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=126

I think my primary issue with IPAs is the bitterness, but I'm trying to expand my palate and hoping this could be a good "gateway drug" for me

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

What I would suggest instead of going all-out with an IPA type of thing, is to shoot for more of an American Wheat, and try to hit the top of those ranges or maybe even a bit higher for the OG and IBUs.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1d

Another thing that would help in that respect is to dry hop the beer after primary fermentation, with maybe 1oz of a citrusy hop like Cascade, Columbus, or Centennial.
cavman22 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm3 View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick response! 1010 is an American Wheat strain: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=126

I think my primary issue with IPAs is the bitterness, but I'm trying to expand my palate and hoping this could be a good "gateway drug" for me
If it's the bitterness you don't like, then you should stick to pale ales. That was my gateway to IPA. Started out that SNPA was too hoppy, then I started to like that and try other pale ales - then the occasional IPA, now I've moved on do double IPA and can't get enough. Wheat IPA sounds cool though, I'd try it - but if you don't like the bitterness that's probably not the solution you're looking for.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
two_hearted
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I tried this one not long ago and thought it was tasty. Hops are hops, its going to tasty more like an IPA than a wheat in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
dlm3
Recipes 

Based on the responses so far, I think I'm going to give this a shot!

weirdboy, I was thinking the same thing about dry-hopping it too. The kit doesn't include hops for that, but I'm going to need to order a few more things anyway, so I'll grab an extra oz. of hops too.

bruin_ale, ironically I typically prefer double-IPAs to the average regular IPA. I think it's the extra malt and probably alcohol that seems to balance things out for me.

I'm not necessarily trying to make this into a wheat beer, so it's alright with me that this will still be more of an IPA (actually at 1.074 it's right in the gray area between a regular and imperial IPA), I was just wanting to take a little bit of the edge off.