Paint Strainer Bags - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Paint Strainer Bags

Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Brewertown, IL
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I am headed to my local Sherwin Williams paint store to grab a few strainer bags. They have 5 gallon size for a buck. Anything I need to be sure of before I buy some for brewing?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Nateo

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
kmk1012
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Oregon
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I get the same bags from Sherwin Williams too, I can usually fit about half of my grain bill in one bag(with a zip tie). I have used several crushes from several local and not so local brew shops with zero ill results. My only recommendation would be to remove the paper like tag sewn into it.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Mysticmead

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.
if using a bag that isn't as course (Voile works great) you can crush it to almost flour consistency and not extract tannins which is what causes the astringent mouth feel. A course bag allows husk to get into the boil and that is what causes it to be astringent.