Tizwin - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tizwin

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
floatingmo
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Washington, MO

Anyone happen to have a recipe for the Apache beer, Tizwin? Sounds interesting, but I have never seen anything posted on it anywhere.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Oldsock

Recipes 

Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Liked 255 Times on 169 Posts

http://www.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-...E2.0.CO%3B2-5&

Sounds like it is closely related to chicha, which is converted with saliva.

Good luck (and welcome to the site).

Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
floatingmo
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Washington, MO

Thanks Oldsock. I know that Dogfish Head brewery came out with a test beer based on Chicha and they did convert with saliva. Tizwin was supposedly made from sprouted corn, but I don't know if it was converted with saliva or not. Can't say the saliva thing interests me too much. I would prob. try and update the recipe a bit.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Oldsock

Recipes 

Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Liked 255 Times on 169 Posts

If it was malted corn then I believe that would have the enzymes to convert itself (no siliva required). There is some information out there about home malting, but figuring out type of corn, what yeast to use etc… will prove difficult.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
floatingmo
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Washington, MO

Yes, it does make sense that if they sprouted it, that it would contain the enzymes. Might have to try and do a little research on the corn that might have been used. Though not sure the type of corn they would have used back then would even be available today. As far as yeast goes, I am guessing that they prob. just kept unwashed fermentation jars and re-used whatever yeast was in there from the last batch not even realizing the yeast caused the fermentation. Not sure what would be an approximation of that. I just thought maybe someone would have heard of a recipe. If nothing else, it might be worth a little experimentation.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 9068 Times on 7220 Posts

I found this awhile ago...

Quote:
"First, they soaked the corn overnight in water. They dug a long trench and lined it with grass, placed the soaked corn in the trench, and covered it with another layer of grass. Sometimes they covered the whole with earth or a blanket. After sprinkling the corn with water morning and evening for ten days, during which it sprouted, they took it out, ground it with their grinding stones (mano and metate), and the boiled it for five hours. Finally, they strained off the liquid and set it aside. After about twenty-four hours, when it stopped bubbling, it was ready to drink." (From Geronimo by Angie Debo, p. 22)
originally posted here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ferm...65/index2.html

FWIW, the Apache's also call it "tiswin" or "tulupai"

Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
floatingmo
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Washington, MO

Thanks, AZ. I did a search of the forum for Tizwin, but I guess it was only searching thread titles.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
LeroyLedbetter
Recipes 

Feb 2013
, Georgia

Did anyone ever find a modern workup of a recipe for Tiswin?