Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "beer snob" says Miller Lite > Newcastle??

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #21
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 843 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

My first wedding was held in the pastors spare bedroom, and then we went to a hibachi place.... don't ask...

But my second wedding was held at my friend's steakhouse, and they have an awesome bar there. I believe we actually had Goose Island available. I was drinking Budwieser is I recall correctly, because I think Bud is awesome with steak. I probably threw a few Sam Adams in there for good measure also.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But you allowed it to happen......There are SOME battles that you just HAVE to fight....

Allowed, hell I paid for it Revvy. It was McMinnimens. Slim pickins. It was a hot June day and they sold out of Mojitos before the food was served. I bought the beer, by the glass. $1,400 worth. I can only hope we blew more IPA kegs than the Ruby stuff. It was a helluva party.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #23
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OP, agreed, it seems weird.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

One thing to consider, are we talking about bottled beer or kegged? I like Newcastle but will only drink the canned version. The bottled version is invariably skunked. And whatever Miller's faults may be, the beer doesn't skunk due to their use of Tetrahop, a hop extract that doesn't react to light. So if the wedding venue offers bottled Newcastle and bottled Miller, the Miller is probably going to taste better. Kegged is a different story.
www.chadwrites.com

Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #25
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack25 View Post
This is what we're trying to work through now. How "unique" to make the selection so that it appeases the micro and BMC crowds. And so that it doesn't go to waste.

Did you have hard liquor too? or keep it to beer & wine?
Just beer and wine, and the place where we had the reception had a rule requiring bottles or cans.

We'd have gone with kegs on the assumption that they're cheaper per unit volume, but as it turned out, the difference between a full case of Coors light and a case of the Oktoberfest was something like 5 bucks a case, so we were only talking like $75 to upgrade to the better beer overall. Even expensive(at retail) stuff like Asahi Black wasn't all that much more expensive- maybe 8 bucks a case.

I think there may have been some kind of wholesale discount that kicked in when we bought 20 cases of beer and 20 of wine. This was at the Austin, TX Spec's Liquor in 2007, BTW.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
mack25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpruett View Post
Just beer and wine, and the place where we had the reception had a rule requiring bottles or cans.
One of the places we looked at had the exact opposite rule: no bottles or cans. So we did all our math assuming kegs and the waiters serving the wine. We've since decided to go with another venue but are sticking with the kegs because the math is done and we're assuming people will prefer draft beer anyway. And because it leaves us open to the option of homebrew - and I only keg.

Great info, thanks!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ours had allowed kegs, but some sorority at UT had a party there and flooded part of a room with beer, so after that, they forbade kegs, and only allow bottles and cans.

Truth be told, I'm glad we ended up with bottles; I suspect we'd have ended up with less variety in kegs than bottles.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack25 View Post
True, I do tend to forget that Miller Lite is "tripple hops brewed"
This means they put 3 hop pellets in a whole barrel.