it still tastes bad - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #51
togodoug
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
saipan, Mp
Posts: 222
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
Yes, but you said you only used it for half of the water. Don't mix your waters, just use 100% RO Filtered, Deionized, or Distilled water all from the same company.

I recommend rehydrating your yeast. See here for more info on that.
thanks a lot. This is all good info. My OR water is in a 5 gal jug, so I used half of that in the boil, then used distilled to cool the boil just because I thought I should use distilled and its in 1 gal jugs so I can chill it. I also am not sure I trust the companies that make the 5 gallon drinking water here. They start with tap water, which is salty and loaded with lime.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
SoCal
Posts: 617
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
thanks a lot. This is all good info. My OR water is in a 5 gal jug, so I used half of that in the boil, then used distilled to cool the boil just because I thought I should use distilled and its in 1 gal jugs so I can chill it. I also am not sure I trust the companies that make the 5 gallon drinking water here. They start with tap water, which is salty and loaded with lime.
I presume the distilled is more expensive, but I think it would be worth it to use just the distilled since you don't trust the RO maker. Reverse Osmosis systems do require cleaning and care or they will fail, if its a small shop doing it, then you might be right.
__________________
Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #53
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,202
Liked 7710 Times on 5416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
I presume the distilled is more expensive, but I think it would be worth it to use just the distilled since you don't trust the RO maker. Reverse Osmosis systems do require cleaning and care or they will fail, if its a small shop doing it, then you might be right.
I agree. Because of boiloff, etc, you may need to purchase 6 gallons of distilled water. but I think it would be worth it if you can figure out why the bad taste. You're using quality beer kits, you'll be using quality yeast, and the only variable is the water. Bad water= bad beer. Always. Chlorine causes a "plastic" or clove taste, but there are other flavors too from water.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #54
dirtyjerz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
garfield, nj
Posts: 75
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Here's something I haven't seen asked.

Have you or do you use the pot you boil in for anything other then brewing beer?

One of my buddies brewed a batch and later when it should have been ready to drink it had that same off taste I think you are tasting. It ends up that his 10 gallon pot was used to deep fry turkeys at one point and I wonder how much that would effect the integrity of the pot and being able to clean it properly. I don't know if it would do anything. I just don't cook other things in my brew pots so there's no chance of something causing off flavors from the very first step.

The Walmart by me has Distilled water for 78 cents a gallon, Drinking and spring water for 88 cents. But they also have 2.5 gallons of Poland Spring for $2.50. The last time I bought 6 1 gallon jugs. This time I picked up 2, 2.5 gallon ones because I really don't need 6 more containers taking up my recycling containers and helping to snuff out the planet. lol
__________________
-----------------------------
HEY...That kangaroo stole my ball!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #55
togodoug
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
saipan, Mp
Posts: 222
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Here's something I haven't seen asked.

Have you or do you use the pot you boil in for anything other then brewing beer?

One of my buddies brewed a batch and later when it should have been ready to drink it had that same off taste I think you are tasting. It ends up that his 10 gallon pot was used to deep fry turkeys at one point and I wonder how much that would effect the integrity of the pot and being able to clean it properly. I don't know if it would do anything. I just don't cook other things in my brew pots so there's no chance of something causing off flavors from the very first step.

The Walmart by me has Distilled water for 78 cents a gallon, Drinking and spring water for 88 cents. But they also have 2.5 gallons of Poland Spring for $2.50. The last time I bought 6 1 gallon jugs. This time I picked up 2, 2.5 gallon ones because I really don't need 6 more containers taking up my recycling containers and helping to snuff out the planet. lol
the pot is only for brew. The RO WATER is $2 for 5 gal. The distilled is $2.50 per gallon

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #56
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,202
Liked 7710 Times on 5416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
the pot is only for brew. The RO WATER is $2 for 5 gal. The distilled is $2.50 per gallon
OUCH! That's a lot. In the US, it's under $1 a gallon.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #57
McDingleberry
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Phillipsburg, NJ
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I see a lot of people talking about using distilled/RO water. I always thought that was a bad idea, because the disolved minerals will affect the taste and mouthfeel of the beer, and RO/DI water has no minerals at all. After a quick look, I found a couple of articles.

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...wing_water.htm

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...adjustment.htm

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/waterarticle.php

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #58
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
SoCal
Posts: 617
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by togodoug View Post
the pot is only for brew. The RO WATER is $2 for 5 gal. The distilled is $2.50 per gallon
Any other sources for RO water besides your current supplier? If not, you may have to bite the bullet once for the distilled so you can determine if water is the problem.
__________________
Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #59
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,202
Liked 7710 Times on 5416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingleberry View Post
I see a lot of people talking about using distilled/RO water. I always thought that was a bad idea, because the disolved minerals will affect the taste and mouthfeel of the beer, and RO/DI water has no minerals at all. After a quick look, I found a couple of articles.

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...wing_water.htm

http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer-bre...adjustment.htm

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/waterarticle.php
He's using extract, which has already been mashed. Distilled water or RO water is fine!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #60
McDingleberry
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Phillipsburg, NJ
Posts: 97
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
He's using extract, which has already been mashed. Distilled water or RO water is fine!
Ahhh. I didn't realize that.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Cream Ale Wort Tastes like poo Jelisa08 Fermentation & Yeast 5 02-12-2011 02:58 AM
My Porter/Brown ale tastes like bum liquor... Downhillfromhere Fermentation & Yeast 18 12-08-2010 08:31 PM
Skunky odor but tastes fine nutty_gnome Fermentation & Yeast 3 11-15-2010 03:39 PM
My WLP001 tastes like a Belgian. What happened?!? wgentzel Fermentation & Yeast 17 07-10-2010 03:58 AM
This tastes like scotch?!? kanzimonson Fermentation & Yeast 11 05-23-2010 11:02 PM


Forum Jump