it still tastes bad - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it still tastes bad

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #101
joetothemo
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Portland, OR
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

My .02 on this is .... Could be Tannins (dry bitter mouthfeel).

Could be yeast bite.

Are you doing the shoulder pour and reserving that last .25" to 1" of dregs at the bottom of your bottle? That stuff can't find its way into the glass or else you will get some funk in your beer.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #102
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Well I've always been taught to never never never use ro or distilled water as there are no nutrients in the water for proper yeast growth. I use bottled spring water as my chlorine levels are to high as well as other issues and I saw a world of flavor difference once I switched. Us-05 is a great yeast by safale another good question what was your OG? possibly there was not a high enough cell count to ferment your beer without making off flavors.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #103
BackyardHB
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Humble, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinred

Two Points

Are you adding water directly from a jug or from tap? Was the jug manufacturer sealed before you poured in?

Are you sanitizing everything before you open it and add it to the wort?

You would be shocked what kinds of things are on the top of these jugs and even yeast packets. Those all must be sanitized before being put in the wort. Keep a spray bottle of sanitizer to spray on your water jug lids before opening, yeast packet, stir paddle, lid, airlock, and everything else after boil. You must spray a good bit of sanitizer on them and let it sit for a minute or so. Even the scissors you cut the yeast packet open with need to be sanitized.

If you are doing that stuff then I will be of no help. Good luck.
What is a good spray sanitizer?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #104
BackyardHB
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Humble, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy
The only part I've got to add is that living on an island like Saipan, I'd be wondering if the local "drinking water" place was keeping the Reverse Osmosis system serviced & maintained like they should - ie:changing out filters & membranes at regular intervals.

I'd try getting water from another source - or preboiling the water prior to using it for brewing.

You might want to see how they test the water - if the Water Station is keeping up on stuff, they should be testing the water regularly & replacing the membrane when Total Dissolved Solids start to inch up.

Good luck with it.
I was stationed in Saipan for a year. It has to be the water. Not good! Only use bottled water. Also are you using a stainless steal kettle?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #105
togodoug
Recipes 

Dec 2010
saipan, Mp
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdreams View Post
I was stationed in Saipan for a year. It has to be the water. Not good! Only use bottled water. Also are you using a stainless steal kettle?
I'm using the local bottled water, in the big 5 gal jugs, not tap for the boil, then small jugs of RO water, locally produced.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #106
JohnTheBrewist

Recipes 

Nov 2010
SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Well I've always been taught to never never never use ro or distilled water as there are no nutrients in the water for proper yeast growth.
This is just plain false for extract brews. The extract already contains the appropriate minerals for the style. I use RO water all the time, even for AG brews. I just build the water for the style. When brewing Pilsners or Koelsch, I rarely add anything but a little calcium chloride, and have never had any problem with lack of yeast nutrient.

Doug, you pitched at 75*F, what temp did you ferment at? I also agree, that it needs more time. Green beer can taste a little sour, it will mellow with time.
for one more beer!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #107
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
This is just plain false for extract brews. The extract already contains the appropriate minerals for the style. I use RO water all the time, even for AG brews. I just build the water for the style. When brewing Pilsners or Koelsch, I rarely add anything but a little calcium chloride, and have never had any problem with lack of yeast nutrient.

Doug, you pitched at 75*F, what temp did you ferment at? I also agree, that it needs more time. Green beer can taste a little sour, it will mellow with time.
I'm sorry you are kind of correct I'm not trying to be argumentitive as you are correct dme does contain minerals and sugars for yeast to feed on but it will NOT make the yeast grow properly which can cause off flavors please ref John Palmer http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-1.html I was more so getting at not using RO or distilled water as it is too neutral based "bland" "flat" etc and as the op questions the flavor of their beer I suggested this as a possibility.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #108
JohnTheBrewist

Recipes 

Nov 2010
SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
If you experience stuck fermentations or low attenuation, and you have eliminated other variables such as: temperature, low pitching rate, poor aeration, poor FAN, age, etc., then lack of necessary minerals may be a significant factor.
The OP said he has a bitter aftertaste, which is often caused by hard water. He hasn't given us any hydrometer readings, but low attenuation or stuck fermentation doesn't seem to be a problem. I rarely brew extract, but I personally have never had any problems with RO water; it has only improved the taste of my beer.
for one more beer!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #109
tvtoms
Recipes 

Jul 2010
usa
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Star san and RO water in a spray bottle lasts me many months because the PH is so low it doesn't seem to ever go bad. I mixed up 16 ounces of it in February and just used it the other day and it was just right. I tip the fermenter upside down while I reach the spray bottle inside and spray the entire interior, then let it drip for a few minutes while I chill the wort. A little goes a LONG way! So that is a great spray sanitizer.

It's a quality spray bottle I got from midwest supplies and you can dial it to a very fine effective mist. Perfect for every thing. I spray my stirring spoon, my hydrometer, yeast sachets, scissors, fermenter lid, the grommet, the airlock, fill the airlock with star san/water too.. everything that needs it, you can just spray it evenly and not worry.

At bottling time I spray the siphon inside and out, the tubing, the bottling wand, the cleaned bottling bucket and spigot, the fermenter lid, my hands.. everything. IMHO, every equipment kit should come with a spray bottle and small container of star san because it's just SO useful for the entire process and very economical.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #110
togodoug
Recipes 

Dec 2010
saipan, Mp
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post

I ferment in the mid 60s. I've decided to switch from One step to Iodophor to sanatize.
Would bottled "spring" water be better than RO? It seems to get worse with bottle aging, so is that sanitation issues?