Oh Ethyl Acetate, how hard you are to drink - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Oh Ethyl Acetate, how hard you are to drink

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
DrJerryrigger
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
mass
Posts: 3,218
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts



So anyway, I have made several wines which have a very strong ethyl acetate nose. Is there anything I can do with these bottles to improve them? Will age help at all? Should I just use it as paint thinner?

Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Australia
Posts: 996
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts


Sorry, once it gets to that stage it is pretty much beyond help. The only possibility is to add a large dose of metabisulphate to a trial sample, leave for an hour or 2 and see if that helps.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
DrJerryrigger
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
mass
Posts: 3,218
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
Sorry, once it gets to that stage it is pretty much beyond help. The only possibility is to add a large dose of metabisulphate to a trial sample, leave for an hour or 2 and see if that helps.
Thanks, assumed it was there to say, well short of distillation. Do you know how the sulphate trick works, or have a link explaining it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
gregbathurst
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Australia
Posts: 996
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts


SO2 (from the metabisulphite) scavenges oxygen, and O2 is what causes the problem, also SO2 binds to acetaldehyde which is part of the problem. Adding SO2 may not fix it, but it's worth trying a sample just to see.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
DrJerryrigger
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
mass
Posts: 3,218
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
SO2 (from the metabisulphite) scavenges oxygen, and O2 is what causes the problem, also SO2 binds to acetaldehyde which is part of the problem. Adding SO2 may not fix it, but it's worth trying a sample just to see.
cool, thanks, I will. How much SO2 should I shoot for in the test? You said large dose, so I'm thinking 150ppm, but maybe I should aim even higher, and then try to remove it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Rev
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Farmington, Missouri
Posts: 8

I've had this problem before and fixed it 2 ways. You can blend it, I had a peach with about 16% ethyl I mixed 1 part white grape peach juice to 2 parts peach wine, but mix to taste. You can also make another batch of the same wine with 1/2 to 1/4 as much sugar and blend. The next time you make wine check your SG at start and often, you can figure your alcohol content with the SG change. To prevent this from happening again use less sugar or stop fermentation earlier. Good luck

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
DrJerryrigger
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
mass
Posts: 3,218
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I've had this problem before and fixed it 2 ways. You can blend it, I had a peach with about 16% ethyl I mixed 1 part white grape peach juice to 2 parts peach wine, but mix to taste. You can also make another batch of the same wine with 1/2 to 1/4 as much sugar and blend. The next time you make wine check your SG at start and often, you can figure your alcohol content with the SG change. To prevent this from happening again use less sugar or stop fermentation earlier. Good luck
Thanks Rev! That's a simple way to address the problem. I think it may work out well for this particular situation too. The ethyl wine was made from raspberry jam, and I'm making some skeeter pee right now. I think the two could be combined to make something drinkable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
gregbathurst
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Australia
Posts: 996
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJerryrigger View Post
cool, thanks, I will. How much SO2 should I shoot for in the test? You said large dose, so I'm thinking 150ppm, but maybe I should aim even higher, and then try to remove it?
150ppm sounds right. Blending is also an option but do a trial first. you don't want to ruin your good wine by adding bad. whatever you do, some SO2 will be needed.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you drink your Apfelwein? peripatetic Winemaking Forum 17 12-12-2009 05:58 AM
I'll drink it if it kills me Brewster2256 Winemaking Forum 10 06-05-2009 11:12 PM
Using powdered drink mixes to add flavor? GooBrew Winemaking Forum 1 01-18-2009 04:37 AM
Input requested on energy drink philrose Winemaking Forum 7 10-28-2008 04:51 AM
why drink the sample? toularat Winemaking Forum 10 08-26-2008 07:42 PM


Forum Jump