Yankee Killer Cascadian Dark Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001
Yeast Starter
YES!!! At least 1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-21 days @ 68*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days dry hopping (to rack or not to rack, you must decide!!!)
Tasting Notes
Distinct grapefruit flavor. Close your eyes and its an IPA...but wait...there\'s more!
Yankee Killer Texas Cascadian Dark Ale
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (42.0) AKA Kerry...Black as hell, refuses to act like you think it should, a little bitter, & it'll kick your ass!!!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 26.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 86.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.09 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.79 %
12.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
10.1 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.54 %
0.25 oz Warrior [17.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [17.20 %] (60 min) Hops 52.9 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (30 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.75 oz Warrior [17.20 %] (2 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) 1.5L Starter

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.23 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Sparge with 5.3 gal 168*F

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.052

The quasi-fictitious land of Cascadia is the heart and soul of America’s hop growing region and is comprised of most of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. Cascadia’s rebellious (and slightly seditious) spirit reflects the fierce independence of the Republic of Texas—as I am a product of both these regions it seemed right that this brew commemorate the Texas Rangers glorious thrashing of those damn New York Yankees in 2010! This CDA owes a debt of gratitude to Portland’s famous Widmer Brothers Brewing Co. and their W-10 Pitch Black IPA.

Brewed with UK 2 Row Pale Malt as the base grain, 10L-Crystal Malt adds flavor and body while Carafa II & Special Roast Malts contribute significant color and subtle roasty notes to this deceptively light bodied and hoppy ale. Close your eyes and this is a complex IPA, not the black hole of a hop bomb contained in this bottle.

Warrior hops give this brew a strong, bitter foundation while Cascade provides a flowery and citrusy aroma with a note of grapefruit. New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops are considered by some as extreme and certainly make their presence felt in this brew. The flavor is citrusy and fruity, working very well with the strong orange and tangerine citrus notes in Summit’s flavor profile. This big hop bill is reinforced by dry hopping with even more Cascade and Summit hops, creating a clean, bitter grapefruit flavor. The interplay between the dark roasty malts and traditional IPA hop bill make this a unique style as the malts tease out distinctive hop flavors that an IPA just can’t generate.

Also known as a BIPA—Black India Pale Ale (which is just a contradiction in terms), IBA—India Black Ale, or the official name of this burgeoning style—American Style India Black Ale, many feel that Cascadian Dark Ale is just too regionally specific a name. However, the good people of Cascadia just think CDA is an appropriate homage to the region that provides most of the uniquely American hops varieties to brewers big and small, at home and abroad :mug:

Orioles fan and avid Yankee hater RallyintheValley asked me about how this might be with an orange for obvious fannish reasons :D
I happened to have a bomber chilled for opening weekend so I tried it with a little orange...Not bad! This brew has aged really well. The citrus hop bitterness is still really up front though it has smoothed and mellowed a bit. Never would have thought of trying this with orange but I had a little with the orange and it seemed to really reduce the perception of the bitterness. Tasted good though, complementing the hops flavor.

011.jpg

Doesn't the Orange remind you of the Giants who completely walloped your team in the WS though? ;)

No shame losing to a better team, and they were clearly a better team in that series. I have lived in Texas for most of my life and the Rangers haven't been relevant for most of that time. I was damn proud of those guys last year...especially when they knocked out the Yankees :D

But I gotta admit that I'm a t-shirt Rangers fan...my wife and in-laws on the other hand are lifelong fans. What DOES suck, however, is that I'm a born and raised Dodgers fan. Watching the Hated Ones win the World Series and over my AL chick on the side as well was painfull...yeah, screw the orange!!!

Well you don't really get the last laugh for the Rangers then, but knowing that my favorite player of all time is the Dodgers manager, well you do get the last laugh for that. :mug:

I took these grains (came pre-mixed on a craigslist buy):
71/4 lb Muntons pale 2 row malt,
1/2 lb chrystal malt and
1/2 oz black patent malt
And followed this hop schedule:
1 oz. Warrior (15.4%) 60 minutes
1 oz. Warrior 15 minutes
1 oz. Cascade (7.?%) 1.5 minutes

The resulting beer seems too "small" to carry all that hops. The grapefruit is "way" stronger than I wanted.

2 questions:

1) Does anyone have thoughts on which hop addition accounts for that (if one is indeed more responsible than another)...and...
2) It's been bottled for a month and may have mellowed a little...does anyone think it wll mellow more?

I have 2.5 more of these batches to make. Would like something IPA-like. Any thoughts? I'm thinkiking of splitting the "half bag" and making two 10# batches. I like the idea of an orange slice even though I am generally not fond of fruit in beer.
Thanks.

Back