44 qt turkey Fryer Kettle Question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 44 qt turkey Fryer Kettle Question

Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

How many inches from the bottom of the kettle is the 5.5 gallon mark on a 44 Qt SS Bayou Classic turkey fryer? I need to know pretty soon.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I take it you are sparging?

I only have the 30 qt one so my measurments wouldn't help you.

I'm also poor at math as I know given enough time I could figure it out on paper.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land

The ID is about the same as an Igloo cooler (13 inches), so I measured it out to about 10-11 inches from the bottom. I compared it with a pre-measured, marked bucket of a slightly smaller ID and it seemed comparable.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Green Bay WI
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Without a measurement of your pot, inside radius and height, its not possible to tell you where that mark is.

I looked up your pot on the web, nobody gives dimensions for it. Otherwise you should be able to calculate that.

To be honest, why don't you just do it the practical and easy way. Pour 5.5 gallons of water into the pot and get out your measure tape. Easy, reliable, and fairly fast.

Gedvondur

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedvondur
To be honest, why don't you just do it the practical and easy way. Pour 5.5 gallons of water into the pot and get out your measure tape. Easy, reliable, and fairly fast.
Its filled with boiling wort. Should have mentioned that.

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Green Bay WI
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Without a measurement of your pot, inside radius and height, its not possible to tell you where that mark is.

I looked up your pot on the web, nobody gives dimensions for it. Otherwise you should be able to calculate that.

Clearly I am stupid today. Its an 11 gallon pot. 5.5 gallons is exactly half the pot. Sorry about that.

Gedvondur

Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Clearly I am stupid today. Its an 11 gallon pot. 5.5 gallons is exactly half the pot. Sorry about that.
Gedvondur
Good call. KISS

Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:

Gedvondur
Think about how Cheese feels right now...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Think about how Cheese feels right now...
Depends. Is it 44 qts to the very top, or 44 qt's to the top ring (giving about 1.5" of extra space)??

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Well, with my fryer (granted, electric), the measurement was for as muchy liquid as could possibly fit in there, i.e. all the way to the rim (why market it as 44 qt when you could market 48?). If you target your final boil volume as halfway up, you'll be close enough and know enough to hone in more precisely next time.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana