Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate)

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
andrewdell19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wyeast is not GF but if you use Wyeast liquid then mathematically your glutem ppm would be around 2 which falls below European standards. I want to try Wyeast but if I get sick after drinking I dont want to dump the whole batch... might be worth a try in a smaller batch.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Fermaid K is gluten free.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Thanks BBBF- where do you get that? My homebrew store only sells White Labs...

Just added some DAP and it started to bubble more only seconds after I put the lid back on!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #14
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So how much DAP/gal for beer then? I know they say if you are all grain you don't need it but what is the target range? Yeast says 1/8t per 2L starter but that's also using DME.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
BBBF
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Thanks BBBF- where do you get that? My homebrew store only sells White Labs...

Just added some DAP and it started to bubble more only seconds after I put the lid back on!
http://morewinemaking.com/search/103...tion_Additives

Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
pintail78
Recipes 

dont worry about it, throw it in at the end of the boil, use about 1 tsp (no more), and you will have a nice strong fermentation. this stuff helps take out the metalic taste in the sorghum malt, i think the sorghum stresses the yeast and thats why you get off metalic-flavors. But thats only my opinion.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintail78
dont worry about it, throw it in at the end of the boil, use about 1 tsp (no more), and you will have a nice strong fermentation. this stuff helps take out the metalic taste in the sorghum malt, i think the sorghum stresses the yeast and thats why you get off metalic-flavors. But thats only my opinion.
1tsp for a 5 gallon batch?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
johnodonovan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi Everyone,
I need some expert advice on DAP here! I've been brewing for a few years and usually get it reasonably ok. This time I'm very worried though: I usually keg, but decided to bottle half of my current 10 gal batch (irish red ale with oats). I boiled 4oz of priming sugar and distributed it evenly across 9 sanitized 2L growlers. Then, being the genius that I am, I decided to add a small bit more to increase carbonation. SO, I picked up the bag and poured a little (maybe one tsp) directly into each 2 Litre growler. After racking and sealing the bottles, I realized that the second bag I used was not priming sugar at all...
It was actually DAP (Di Ammonium Phospate), which is a nitrogen aid with a recommended use of 1/2 to 3/4 grams per gallon. So, I have used at least 10 times too much.

My question is: do I have to throw out the batch?
(I am aware of the pressure issues and am conditioning in a vented cooler box.)

Any info is appreciated!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
BBBF
Recipes 

It might have a metallic/salty taste to it. Let them carbonate, taste and find out. Even if there is an off flavor, I would set them aside and taste them over time. Maybe it'll improve.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
pintail78
Recipes 

I was one of first to start using DAP, that was a few years ago. Ive used it on probably 30-40 batches, heres my take:
1) I use it sparingly, maybe a level tsp at most, or even 1/2 of that.
2) Its like fertilizer, it doesn't matter when you add it, really its just a nutrient.
3) If you add too much it will taste and smell slightly sulphury at first, even that will go away (most all of the time) with a little time.
The stuff is great, if you use sorghum as a base and proper brewing techniques fermentation temp etc you will get a nice tasting beer. Its gonna be dry as its the nature of sorghum, but there are other ways to get around that too.