Using Millet for brewing??? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Using Millet for brewing???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Sheldon
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
woodbridge, va
Posts: 1,214
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts



Does anyone have any insight or knowledge about this topic???


http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...terstitialskip

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeldon View Post
Does anyone have any insight or knowledge about this topic???


http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...terstitialskip
Someone else posted up about it a couple days ago.

IF a company starts selling GF malted millet (to homebrewers), even if it is just a base malt that we could then roast to varying levels of darkness ourselves, that would be f*in sweet.

If it means they sell millet malt extract alongside sorghum extract (again, to homebrewers), that would be...somewhat less than f*in, but still pretty dang sweet.

If they start making and selling some millet-based GF beer, then hey, at least there will be some more alternatives out there for everyone to buy, and who knows, maybe it will actually be really good.

I'm hoping it works out well.
__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


ive used hulled millet in a few beers. i have not home malted it yet though, just roast waft crack and 1 hour steep. generally i use it in conjunction with tapioca extract. it has a really nice flavor, ends more on the sweeter side, and has a nice heffe aspect to it. i sent a tapioca millet strawberry blonde to lcasanova a few weeks back too.
i just finished a keg of tapioca millet with hazel nut extract using a home isolated heffe yeast, it finished sweet. like candy sweet and about 7 %alc, i called it hummingbirds heffless

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
andrewdell19
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
arizona
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHB View Post
ive used hulled millet in a few beers. i have not home malted it yet though, just roast waft crack and 1 hour steep. generally i use it in conjunction with tapioca extract. it has a really nice flavor, ends more on the sweeter side, and has a nice heffe aspect to it. i sent a tapioca millet strawberry blonde to lcasanova a few weeks back too.
i just finished a keg of tapioca millet with hazel nut extract using a home isolated heffe yeast, it finished sweet. like candy sweet and about 7 %alc, i called it hummingbirds heffless
Lucky... I guess your homebrew store orders tapioca for you? I have asked them twice now, once they never called back, and the second time they were supposed to email me back this past Tuesday... well they never did. My homebrew store lacks quality employees IMO as they have sold me 2 bad kegs, overcharge on Sorghum ($26 for 7 lbs), among a few other things. I am using northern brewer now and just ordering online.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Lucky... I guess your homebrew store orders tapioca for you? I have asked them twice now, once they never called back, and the second time they were supposed to email me back this past Tuesday... well they never did. My homebrew store lacks quality employees IMO as they have sold me 2 bad kegs, overcharge on Sorghum ($26 for 7 lbs), among a few other things. I am using northern brewer now and just ordering online.
damn right! im all for supporting local business, but if youre haveing to deal with half assed jerk offs, use the internets. they will order it for me. it ends up being a bit more expensive, and they only order once a month, so ive been looking to the nets lately, but if i need hopp socks or air locks corks stuff like that, ill go to them

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
mpcondo
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I came across a thread here about malting millet: http://thirsty-games.com/index.php/topic,7.0.html

sounds like it's not hard and is getting good results.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
agent44
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Port alberni, BC
Posts: 182
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


What about using puffed millet?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
thanantos
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
, MICHIGAN
Posts: 283
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by agent44 View Post
What about using puffed millet?
Although malting the grain would be a PITA, it is possible.

Getting conversion is the trick:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...me=CDAGWrapper

madsymo Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
mpcondo
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I forgot about this post when I started a new topic. I've gotten the process of malting millet down, if anyone is interested in getting a base millet malt.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/any...5/#post4643352

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roasted some millet dorklord Gluten Free Brewing 18 09-27-2015 11:32 AM
Colorado Millet Malting Project BBBF Gluten Free Brewing 18 10-24-2011 12:19 AM
Where to buy Gluten Free Whole Millet (with husk) for malting cpirius Gluten Free Brewing 4 06-04-2011 06:30 PM
millet for mouth feel? ponderingsage Gluten Free Brewing 16 07-19-2010 07:49 PM


Forum Jump