Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > $20.25 mash tun!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default $20.25 mash tun!!!

Hello all!! About a month ago I happened on a 5 gallon rubbermaid round cooler at Wal Mart for 15 bucks on clearance. I bought it with the intention of using it for a mini mash vessel or mash tun for smaller 5 gal batches of 6% and lower beers. Today I struck out to get the parts but stopped by the homebrew store first for some ideas. I had taken the spout out so I could find the right fitting stuff. While the LHBS guy was helping someone with their stuff I was just browsing stuff I have looked at a million times before and saw some smaller sized bungs. Then I saw some wimpy looking food grade plastic valves. I'm sure you could see the wheels turning in my head(yes, driven by the alcoholic 3 legged hampster on his rusty wheel) as I grabbed up a $.75 bung and placed it in the hole and jammed the $2.00 valve in it I felt smart... for once... LOL!!! Went to LOWES and got 2 feet of soft 1/4" copper for $2.50. Bent it up and cut slots in it with my dremmel and now I have a 5 gallon mash tun!!! The el-cheapo valve leaks about 1/16oz of liquid ever hour, no biggie, though it's enough to warrent some kind of drip catcher under it when I use it. Anyhow, bought 10 lbs of grains. Got to go play with my new toy! Catch ya all later!

...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 03-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice one.

Do you have full boil facilities?

I can sense an AG brewer emerging.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I could full boil 14 gallons of wort if I had need. Got a Keggle and THIS
bayou classic burner. I wish I could have afforded the Stainless Steel version of it. Paint stinks when it burns off.....
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)