Colorado Millet Malting Project - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Colorado Millet Malting Project

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
BBBF
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,408
Liked 104 Times on 84 Posts



Monday January 24, 2011 Colorado Malting Company and the Colorado Department of Agriculture finalized their agreement to proceed with the Colorado Millet Malting Project. This project includes Colorado Malting Company utilizing a grant from the Colorado Dept. of Ag. that will allow the company to experiment with three different varieties of Colorado grown millet. This project is expected to begin the first week in February 2011 and will deliver gluten free, 100 percent locally grown and malted millet into the hands of professional brewers all around the state of Colorado. The project should be completed by the last week of May of 2011 and hopes are high that it will not only create new malt markets, but that it will inspire new and exciting beers, as well as creating new markets for the millet farmers of Northern Colorado. Owners of Colorado Malting Company have expressed their excitement about the project and look forward to working hard to develop some original products for Colorado Brewers.



Colorado has a great advantage in the beer market, as they do not only have the fastest growing and largest micro brewing market in the nation, but they also have an all local malt company. This allows Colorado to produce some amazing beers, in which the final product has, literally, the flavors of its own region. As the project approaches its beginning stages, hopes are high that new markets and products will be created and that Colorado will continue to forge ahead toward success and originality in the micro brewing industry.

http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.co...-new&Itemid=61

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
Monday January 24, 2011 Colorado Malting Company and the Colorado Department of Agriculture finalized their agreement to proceed with the Colorado Millet Malting Project. This project includes Colorado Malting Company utilizing a grant from the Colorado Dept. of Ag. that will allow the company to experiment with three different varieties of Colorado grown millet. This project is expected to begin the first week in February 2011 and will deliver gluten free, 100 percent locally grown and malted millet into the hands of professional brewers all around the state of Colorado. The project should be completed by the last week of May of 2011 and hopes are high that it will not only create new malt markets, but that it will inspire new and exciting beers, as well as creating new markets for the millet farmers of Northern Colorado. Owners of Colorado Malting Company have expressed their excitement about the project and look forward to working hard to develop some original products for Colorado Brewers.



Colorado has a great advantage in the beer market, as they do not only have the fastest growing and largest micro brewing market in the nation, but they also have an all local malt company. This allows Colorado to produce some amazing beers, in which the final product has, literally, the flavors of its own region. As the project approaches its beginning stages, hopes are high that new markets and products will be created and that Colorado will continue to forge ahead toward success and originality in the micro brewing industry.

http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.co...-new&Itemid=61
Who wants to pose as a professional brewer from Colorado?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
No_Party
 
No_Party's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Nashvegas, TN
Posts: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Who wants to pose as a professional brewer from Colorado?
Hah! I was thinking the very same thing.
__________________
“When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" - Paul Hornung

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
BBBF
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,408
Liked 104 Times on 84 Posts


Yeah, if it was open to breweries in Chicago, I'd be calling them up right now. Give me the grain and I'll give you whatever recipe I come up with.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


F that, colorado only! they need to get this underway and sell it to home brewers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
BBBF
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,408
Liked 104 Times on 84 Posts


I sent them an email, thanking them for taking on the challenge and asking if they'd consider selling millet malt to homebrewers. They said it it should be availible this summer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


i wonder what they would do if all uf us from the GF subsection of this forum were to send them a thank you email

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHB View Post
i wonder what they would do if all uf us from the GF subsection of this forum were to send them a thank you email
I sent them an email saying that if the stuff goes up for sale, I'd love to know, and thanking them for their efforts.
__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHB View Post
i wonder what they would do if all uf us from the GF subsection of this forum were to send them a thank you email
Sent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


sent

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roasted some millet dorklord Gluten Free Brewing 18 09-27-2015 11:32 AM
Where to buy Gluten Free Whole Millet (with husk) for malting cpirius Gluten Free Brewing 4 06-04-2011 06:30 PM
millet for mouth feel? ponderingsage Gluten Free Brewing 16 07-19-2010 07:49 PM
New to malting homebrew121285 Gluten Free Brewing 3 05-06-2010 11:12 AM
Malting Aubie Stout Gluten Free Brewing 1 01-31-2010 08:11 PM


Forum Jump