Scottish 85

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP028
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 Days at 62
Additional Fermentation
A month in the cellar
Tasting Notes
Awesome multi-grain malty nutty smooth and balanced.
This recipe is loosely based on Jamil's Scottish 80/- in Brewing Classic Styles. I bumped it up with some Munich and flaked oats, but it's not as big as a wee heavy would be. Hence the name.

10 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Caramel/Crystal 10L
8 oz. Munich Malt
8 oz. Honey Malt
8 oz Flaked Oats (Quaker, toasted at 350 for 20 minutes or so)
4 oz. Caramel/Crystal 120L
4 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt

1 oz. Horizon 8.0% AA 60 minutes
0.5 oz. EKG 7.2% AA 60 minutes
Irish moss and yeast nutrient if you wish

Single infusion mash at 154 degrees.
I ran off a gallon after 60 minutes, and boiled it down for another 30. Then collected the rest of the runnings.

Bottled with 7 oz. DME = 2 volumes of CO2. After 3 weeks at room temperature, I cellared it for a month.

This beer came out great. I've made some wonderful beers based on recipes from this site: Yooper's Hopped-Up Amber, Deception Cream Stout, King Brian's Caramel Amber, and others. Personally, I can't pick a favorite, I love them all. But friends and family like the Scottish more than anything else.

If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turns out!

I have been brewing for quite a while but I am going to do this as my first all grain batch next week.
One question though. How long was your mash time? 90 minutes with the gallon you boiled seperately?

Yes, that's the way I did it. Probably didn't need 90 minutes, I just needed the burner for the boil-down. I imagine 60 minutes would get you full conversion.

I am finally brewing today. I also tweaked it with an ounce of peated malt. Anyway , what mash to water ratio did you use ? I was planning on 1.35 quarts per pound.
thanks.

I'm a new brewer and just brewed this one today (national home brewer's day!). Looks awesome so far...thanks for the recipe.

Glad you liked it! I have to work it back into my queue. It's a nice winter beer, so I'll probably schedule it for September or thereabouts.

Cheers!

Back