Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Citra IPA

Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
mrphillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I went the other way with one of my recipes, and made a slightly less hoppy APA. I used a combination of Citra and Cascade, and the result was AWESOME. I did 2 doses of Cascade - 1 oz. @ 60min., 1 oz. @ 20min. - and 2 doses of Citra - 1oz @ 5 min., 1/2 oz. dry hop (next time I'll dry hope a full ounce).

The Cascade gave a very nice, mellow bitterness to it, and the Citra? Well, as you already know, the Citra just tied the whole thing together. Fine choice!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #32
Johnnyare
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Citra with Amarillo and Nugget to bitter

This recipe is very similar to my recent brew, save I had heard that citra with Amarillo is awesome. They were not lying. It is now a staple on my tapper board. I kind of Frankenbrewed it with the grain bill to use up stuff that I had but I think the complex grain bill added backbone for that glorious hops muscle to work. Here it is
5.75 lbs. Golden Promise
7.5 lbs. 2 row
.75 lbs. cara/pils dexatrine
1 lbs. munich
1 lbs. White wheat malt
.75 lbs. honey malt
1 lbs crystal malt 40L
1.0 oz Nugget (60 min)
1.0 oz Citra (30 min)
1.0 oz Citra (15 min)
1.0 oz Citra (10 min)
1.0 oz Citra (5 min)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo (0 min)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo dry hop ( 12 days)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo dry hop (9 days)
Nottingham dry yeast
1/2 tsp. irish moss 10 min
1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient last 10 min of boil

The nose on this beer is amazing. It is a tad strong in the ABV. probably a double or imperial, but when you wake up you will still remember how delicious it is.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #33
Montanista89
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

Thanks for the recipe, this turned out great ! we just dry hopped one week ( the last week in the secondary ) we will be making this for our wedding

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #34
ArmyATCBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Citra IPA

Anyone have an opinion on how this recipe (original post) would turn out with 1 lb of unpasteurized honey added at secondary? Would the results be primarily aromatic or flavoring or both? I'm sort of new at this and starting to try out experimentation. I was considering splitting a 5 gal batch of this and adding 1/2 lb to one half. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
mrphillips
Recipes 

I've used honey MALT with citra, and they complimented each other very well. The only experience I have with honey was in a porter, so I'm not sure how it would work in a lighter beer. My guess would be that it would be real tasty with subtle aromatics and a lingering honey taste. Again, I really recommend using honey malt. It leaves a more...I don't know, authentic honey taste without the lingering sweetness.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #36
ArmyATCBrewer
Recipes 

Yeah, I've read that also. I'm planning to use 1/2 lb more honey malt than the recipe calls for already. Just hoping to give it a touch more honey taste and aroma. I'll update when is done if you're interested. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #37
mrphillips
Recipes 

Oh...oh I'm interested. How much Honey Malt do you plan to use? The most I've ever used is .5 lbs. but I've always wanted to use .75-1 pound.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #38
ArmyATCBrewer
Recipes 

I'm going to use 1 lb of honey malt for the five gal. After splitting (2.5/2.5) I'll add 1/2 lb of actually honey when I rack to secondary.

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: Maple Bacon Smoked Red Ale
On Deck: maybe a good IPA...?

Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #39
BroomVikin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just cracked open a bottle of this on Sunday. A+++ It was my first all grain batch (3rd overall) and I'm very pleased. My first two extract brews were a Dunkel and a Chocolate Milk Stout so this was obviously my first experience with the Citra. Also since my LHBS didn't have the Simcoe in stock I dry hopped with Amarillo. I love the citrus smell (I get a lot of pineapple). I was a little under on the OG (1.045) but my newbie tongue can't tell the difference. I'll be brewing this again in the future! Great recipe.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 AM   #40
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
I went the other way with one of my recipes, and made a slightly less hoppy APA. I used a combination of Citra and Cascade, and the result was AWESOME. I did 2 doses of Cascade - 1 oz. @ 60min., 1 oz. @ 20min. - and 2 doses of Citra - 1oz @ 5 min., 1/2 oz. dry hop (next time I'll dry hope a full ounce).

The Cascade gave a very nice, mellow bitterness to it, and the Citra? Well, as you already know, the Citra just tied the whole thing together. Fine choice!
this is exatly what i am going to do with my left over citra and cascade hops