Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What you Homebrewing? 3/2-3/4

Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #41
biggenius29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just got done brewing my last extract batch. A Ipa. Next batch will be All grain.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #42
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, although a lot of work, the extract-IPA (using 1.5g pre-boil of hop tea and 1.5g boil with extract and 7 hop additions) modelled after Walker's Kaduva IPA has been in the fermenter since 2PM. I rehydrated and pitched Safale 056 as opposed to using my flying dog (no time for a starter as the yeast didnt arrive until last night) vss wyeast. 5 hours later I'm at 20 bubbles per minute already. Hopefully this turns out pretty decent. The smell through the airlock is hoppppppps and I didn't even dryhop yet (waiting til secondary).

Looking forward to this one...

Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #43
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Looking forward to this one...
If it comes out anything like Walker-san's you'll be happy...that's a good IPA.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #44
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

morning HBT

mashed in @ 715 am. Doing a quick Hefe, hopefully it will be done by the 28th.

52% wheat, 42 % Pilsner, 6% Dark Munich. And going with WLP 300 and a one time addition of hersbruckers

Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #45
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Got the Kolsch mashing right now. It's a beautiful day here in Austin. I'm looking forward to the boil out on the deck with a few cold ones.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #46
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Just got the Blackberry Sage Porter in the Primary, cleaned everything up and I'm on to my second batch of the day. Just mashed in on the Impact IPA.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #47
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have a serious itch to brew a double batch with the first runnings being a big beer and the second a session beer. Any suggestions? I'll probably brew Monday or Tuesday.
Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #48
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Let me know how this is. I am brewing something similar this weekend if all goes well...
I transferred the IPA yesterday, and tasted the hydrometer sample, and it already tastes great. Mind you, I was forced to substitute Spalt for Cascade, as Scotzin's was out of the latter when I went. I'll also be using Styrian Goldings for my dry hop, but I'm not there yet. At any rate, the color is a very nice copper, and I have big expectations for the final product. My FG was strangely high (1.020 from an OG of 1.060), which I can only attribute to my slightly higher-than-planned mash temperatures. Bollocks. Still, I have a feeling it's going to kick ass. I'm calling it Hoppy Easter Ale, as the 1-2-3 rule will land exactly on Easter Sunday.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #49
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
I transferred the IPA yesterday, and tasted the hydrometer sample, and it already tastes great. Mind you, I was forced to substitute Spalt for Cascade, as Scotzin's was out of the latter when I went. I'll also be using Styrian Goldings for my dry hop, but I'm not there yet. At any rate, the color is a very nice copper, and I have big expectations for the final product. My FG was strangely high (1.020 from an OG of 1.060), which I can only attribute to my slightly higher-than-planned mash temperatures. Bollocks. Still, I have a feeling it's going to kick ass. I'm calling it Hoppy Easter Ale, as the 1-2-3 rule will land exactly on Easter Sunday.
Sounds great. I had ordered 1/2lb. of Cascade to keep on hand, so I didn't run into that problem. So, I have the classic Walker Chinook, NB, and Cascade combo going on, although I brewed mine to about 50-55IBU, as opposed to Walker's 45ish.

I also used one extra oz. of cascade at flameout (and let sit in the kettle while cooling) and I'll also dryhop with the cascades for the last week of secondary (which is normal I think).

Anyway, mine is definitely copper as I used crystal 60L as opposed to 10L in Walker's recipe.

Finally, the gravity seems right on to me. When I put it into Beersmith (Walker's recipe verbatim) it showed an OG of 1.062. My brew turned out to be 1.060 on the dot when corrected for temperature. Should land around 6% ABV, which I think is perfectly acceptable for an IPA with 50-55ish IBU.

Anyway, smells nice and hoppy through the airlock, so I can't wait to get this one finished! Oh and I used the Safale 056. I was planning on using the flying dog VSS yeast I bought from AustinHB, but I didn't have time for a starter.