Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Will Peat Smoked Malt flavor fade with age?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
flyerwire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Will Peat Smoked Malt flavor fade with age?

I made a wee heavy last year and couldnt notice any flavor from the peat... so this year i adjusted it slightly and now its way too overbearing. Will it age out (or down a bit?) or will my best bet to make a mellow scottish ale and mix? Or just drink it and shut up

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

It will mellow some but I've found smoke flavor does not mellow out anywhere near as dramatically as hop flavor.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
usmclar1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a Chipotle Ale with and it didn't really "die down" per se, but it kind of got a little smoother after a year or so. Not much help I know, but I think you're kind of stuck with that nice burned swamp flavor.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thats disappointing. note to self, a few ounces of peat malt goes a LOOONNNGGG way. I added a few more ounces and it went from not detectable to chewing peat

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
amrmedic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a barleywine recently and put in a pound of peat. My friend, who happens to be a pro brewer, helped me out, and accidentally put in 4 oz of Northdown hops, and now I can not taste any peat (however, the hop profile of it is way up there). So, if the peat is way too overpowering, try a little dry hopping, nothing dramatic, just start with a little and see if by adding some hoppiness to it, it might balance it out a tad.