Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Element rust no more!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
bbognerks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Element rust no more!

So, I love e-brewing. But, from day one, I had problems with my RIPP element base forming rust in the HLT. Even just having water in it for the 6 hour brew day, it would form enough rust for it to run down the side of the keg to the bottom.

I tried POR15 and aluminum anodes with no success. The POR15 didn't protect the threads and the aluminum anode didn't seem to be active enough. I was just about to buy some magnesium fire starters, when a friend of mine found these.

Camco Magnesium RV Anode

I silver-soldered another half coupling into my keggle and tried it out. 18 hours water soak and not a single hint of rust. I'm sold. I just hope this helps others looking for a permanent rust prevention solution.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
drez77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Intresting. I just covered the end with food grade silicone and have not had an issue.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Any issues with Magnesium in the boil? Just curious...
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
bbognerks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
Intresting. I just covered the end with food grade silicone and have not had an issue.
I had thought of doing that, but I wanted a more permanent solution. I read others that used silicone say they have to redo it after a few batches. I didn't want to have to worry about that. The anode should last at least a couple years, if not forever. It's not like I'm leaving water in the kettle day in and day out.

I had not seen this solution before, so I thought I'd share with the community what took me several failed attempts to resolve.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
bbognerks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Any issues with Magnesium in the boil? Just curious...
Not sure what you are asking here. Many beer styles have magnesium in the water profile. Also, your body needs some magnesium as well. I wouldn't think it would add too much magnesium to the water profile. It's a solid chunk, so it would only add what the water would deteriorate in the given time it's in contact with the materal.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd be curious what a Ward Labs test looks like on water that was brought to boil and back in the kettle.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
bbognerks
Recipes 

Well, I certainly can do that if you really want to know. What do I need to do? Would I need to send in 2 samples. One of my water and one after the boil so we could see what it adds?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbognerks View Post
Not sure what you are asking here. Many beer styles have magnesium in the water profile. Also, your body needs some magnesium as well. I wouldn't think it would add too much magnesium to the water profile. It's a solid chunk, so it would only add what the water would deteriorate in the given time it's in contact with the materal.
Maybe I should rephrase, any issues with that large of a chunk of magnesium in the boil? Not trying to discount your solution at all, it's certainly a unique idea, and for that I applaud you. Just wondering what affects (adverse or otherwise) this might have on the boil or water chemistry. I'm certain that it wouldn't pose a health risk, just curious if there might be too much magnesium in the water afterward.

Bobby has a good idea with the Wards Lab water report. Maybe boil a gallon or three of Distilled Water and send it in to see what pops up on the report.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
bbognerks
Recipes 

Well I think I'll send off 2 samples to Ward in a couple days. Which test should I do? Complete household mineral or standard household mineral. There is a $10 difference just to test for iron and fluoride. I'd rather spend $35 than $55 on this.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Couldn't you just put that on the bottom of the keggle? Instead of adding a new coupling/hole.