I completely underestimated role of oxygen - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #111
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GuldTuborg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
OH
Posts: 4,521
Liked 941 Times on 645 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Chris White explains that the only time you should be oxygenating is before pitching, except in the case of extremely high-gravity beers. In these particular exceptions, I believe he states that another dose of oxygen may be given 12-18 hours after pitching, though I admittedly don't recall his precise reason(s) why. I should be able to check my copy of Yeast tomorrow
Right. In particularly big beer, yeast seem to benefit from another dose of oxygen after they have used what was originally in the wort during reproduction. That is, you're giving them more of what they need, when they need it, instead of (for example) trying to put it all in in one massive dose of 30ppm or whatever at the beginning. At any rate, that's from my recollection of the book. I'll have to reread that section to get all of the details again, but I think that's the gist of it.
__________________
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #112
SwampassJ
 
SwampassJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,163
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Without making any comments on the validity of anyone's arguments here... This is possibly the most contradictory single sentence I've read here.
Wait you mean to say he registered only to troll and bring about arguments? Say it isn't so. I love how every time someone in this forum has a disagreement with someone else's experiment they demand a 2nd experiment to prove it's not a fluke but refuse to do it themselves. Instead we get a 20051512 page secondary vs primary chest thumping thread about who can primary for 3 months without needing the carboy/bucket back.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #113
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,763
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ

Wait you mean to say he registered only to troll and bring about arguments? Say it isn't so.
For seriously! What have the internets come to these days!?! ;-)
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #114
emjay
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,792
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


I might have fed the troll with a couple novels, but I'm pretty sure I had already buried in there somewhere a slight accusation of such, not only because (s)he had ONLY ever posted in this thread, but also because I simply had a hard time believing somebody could be so vapid, resistant to logic, and unable to follow even THEIR OWN argument (let alone other people's), and yet somehow still manage to use a computer, write in a linguistically adequate fashion - even if not at all a logically adequate one, and somehow actually even remember to breathe without constantly being reminded to do so (which YOU now suddenly find yourself oddly unable to manage...) Breathe in... Breathe out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #115
SwampassJ
 
SwampassJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,163
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
I might have fed the troll with a couple novels, but I'm pretty sure I had already buried in there somewhere a slight accusation of such, not only because (s)he had ONLY ever posted in this thread, but also because I simply had a hard time believing somebody so vapid, resistant to logic, and unable to even follow THEIR OWN argument (let alone other people's), and yet somehow still manage to use a computer, write in a linguistically adequate fashion - even if not at all a logically adequate one, and somehow actually even remember to breathe without constantly being reminded to do so (which YOU now suddenly find yourself oddly unable to manage...) Breathe in... Breathe out.
I should pull up some older posts from Cookiemonster. You couldn't tell if they where trolling or if it was a French Canadian thing at first.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ferm...please-172206/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/impo...-local-166435/

Sad thing is he started out normal and went troll.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #116
ayoungrad
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,102
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Without making any comments on the validity of anyone's arguments here... This is possibly the most contradictory single sentence I've read here.
That is hilarious.

But even beyond the contradiction... he has to be correct... No one on this board is a scientist. And no one on this board is over the age of 31 (as he claims to be). So he must have more scientific experience than everyone here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #117
emjay
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,792
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad

That is hilarious.

But even beyond the contradiction... he has to be correct... No one on this board is a scientist. And no one on this board is over the age of 31 (as he claims to be). So he must have more scientific experience than everyone here.
How can you be so sure?

I'm studying neuroscience on a full scholarship, so I do, in fact, have a solid background in chemistry. I guess you could say I'm "not quite there", but even if somebody has astonishing credentials, it's a really stupid thing to dick size and argue about over the Internet, because anybody can make up just about anything. And I'm sure that anybody with the brains to actually back up their creds realizes that they'll just end up looking foolish even attempting it.

But although you might be able to say anything you want about how intelligent and learned you may or may not be, backing it up is a whole other matter - and believe me, this guy doesn't even come close to doing so. He can't even keep track of his own argument, let alone intelligently assert it, so even if he is telling the truth (I'm not going to dispute it or even speculate, as I've met more than a few degree-laden half-wits), it's obviously not doing him any good anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #118
ayoungrad
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,102
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
How can you be so sure?

I'm studying neuroscience on a full scholarship, so I do, in fact, have a solid background in chemistry. I guess you could say I'm "not quite there", but even if somebody has astonishing credentials, it's a really stupid thing to dick size and argue about over the Internet, because anybody can make up just about anything. And I'm sure that anybody with the brains to actually back up their creds realizes that they'll just end up looking foolish even attempting it.

But although you might be able to say anything you want about how intelligent and learned you may or may not be, backing it up is a whole other matter - and believe me, this guy doesn't even come close to doing so. He can't even keep track of his own argument, let alone intelligently assert it, so even if he is telling the truth (I'm not going to dispute it or even speculate, as I've met more than a few degree-laden half-wits), it's obviously not doing him any good anyway.
Ummmmmm... I hope you took my comment as sarcastically as it was intended...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #119
hodge
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Rochester, Michigan
Posts: 112
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Wow, what a thread. I appreciate all of you that have participated. As a result, my O2 system from Williams will be arriving tomorrow. Needless to say, I'll be using it for my next brew and, just maybe, I'll post some anecdotal findings on this thread.

You guys are awesome, thanks again for posting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #120
scadieux
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 37
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I made the same recipe (oatmeal stout) with and without oxygen.

Day and night result.

Took less time to ferment, reached FG and much better taste. Drier and more grain flavor coming through.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I ferment completely closed in corny keg under pressure? redalert Fermentation & Yeast 71 02-17-2013 12:21 AM
Ran out of Oxygen dmfa200 Fermentation & Yeast 6 06-28-2012 10:13 PM
Using bottled oxygen sketerbuck Fermentation & Yeast 4 03-08-2011 01:23 PM
Starters - Don't allow to ferment completely? gannawdm Fermentation & Yeast 5 01-19-2011 02:11 AM
Too much oxygen acleanthous Fermentation & Yeast 7 05-18-2010 06:42 PM


Forum Jump