when to grind - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > when to grind

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
barefoot_trashko
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Monroe, WI

If I grind my grain a couple days early can it just be stored in a bag/container as long as the temperature remains fairly cool?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Liked 1472 Times on 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_trashko
If I grind my grain a couple days early can it just be stored in a bag/container as long as the temperature remains fairly cool?
Yep, no problem. Same storage requirements as unground, basically.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
ultravista
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts

Is it best to refrigerate or freeze grains for long term storage? Does it matter if milled or whole?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 481 Times on 279 Posts

Is there anything wrong with vacuum sealing small amounts of crushed grain?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Liked 1472 Times on 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
Is it best to refrigerate or freeze grains for long term storage? Does it matter if milled or whole?
Milled grains will get old faster, though there is some debate about how much quicker. Some people say they can detect staling in milled grains in as little as a week, but in a recent interview one of the head techies for Briess said that ground grains lose only about 10-20% of their shelf-life. If stored properly, whole grains are good for months or more, and I've stored milled grains for similarly long times without a loss in crispness or flavor.

How you store is important though. Cool, dry, and sealed. I am not aware of any real tests on grain freezing, but my intuition is that it isn't a great idea. With roasted coffee, certainly, you wouldn't want to freeze the beans unless you were planning on storing them for a year or more. I suspect that this applies similarly to grains, though I can't be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Is there anything wrong with vacuum sealing small amounts of crushed grain?
Other than the work and the plastic, no down sides I can think of.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

The grain has a built in protector which shields it from Oxygen/moisture/heat/light, etc. Once you mill it that is gone and anything you can do to continue that protection is for the better. Unless you had a blast freezer and a way to properly defrost I'd skip the freezing. If you freeze something slowly it can form ice crystals which is bad, I'm sure you've tasted it in ice cream - yuck.

+1 Vacuum seal would be a good way to store it.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
O'Fallon, MO
Liked 219 Times on 147 Posts

I usually try to grind my grain the night before. One less thing to deal with on brew day. I try, but it rarely seems to happen, though.