HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Can I use the Mr. Beer 2 gallon fermenter for my first mead?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Pixalated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Can I use the Mr. Beer 2 gallon fermenter for my first mead?

I would like to try making some mead, but I am afraid of making 5 gallons worth of the stuff. I remembered that I have a 2 Gallon Mr. Beer fermenter. Will this work?

Also, I'd love a recipe recommendation. I've only had 2 meads so far, and only liked Viking Blod. I would love to make something that wouldn't take too long. I am looking for something on the dryer side, with not too much sticky honey taste at the end.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
pvtpublic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixalated
I would like to try making some mead, but I am afraid of making 5 gallons worth of the stuff. I remembered that I have a 2 Gallon Mr. Beer fermenter. Will this work?

Also, I'd love a recipe recommendation. I've only had 2 meads so far, and only liked Viking Blod. I would love to make something that wouldn't take too long. I am looking for something on the dryer side, with not too much sticky honey taste at the end.
I do this all the time. However, I use mead kits from www.beefolks.com which yields one gallon per kit. I like to make two at a time according to instruction. Then when it come time to rack, I just rack it right in to my Mr. Beer fermenter to bulk age it, and if you get the locking spigot and bottling wand from Mr. Beer, it serves as an excellent bottling bucket too!

Edit: The mead kits from bee folks are short meads and my first one took about 3 months, and if you want it to be on the dryer side, try using your own yeast, it might help.
Bottled: Wild Grape Pyment, Dry Hopped Mead, Wild Grape Wine, Blackberry Melomel, Plastic Melomel
Screwed Up: Pale Ale, Stout, Maple wine, Blueberry Melomel.
*Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug*

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
deb_rn
Recipes 

Yipes, I looked up the prices on that web site!!! I pay $107 for 60# (5 gal) of honey, and they charge $240!!! The Mead kits have nothing in them but yeast and something to flavor. For a 1 gal batch, you could get frozen fruit from Walmart, get a recipe on here and make it for far less!!

Debbie

Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
pvtpublic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_rn
Yipes, I looked up the prices on that web site!!! I pay $107 for 60# (5 gal) of honey, and they charge $240!!! The Mead kits have nothing in them but yeast and something to flavor. For a 1 gal batch, you could get frozen fruit from Walmart, get a recipe on here and make it for far less!!

Debbie
That's why I just get the kits and get my honey elsewhere. 9 bucks a pound is 2-3 times too much.
Bottled: Wild Grape Pyment, Dry Hopped Mead, Wild Grape Wine, Blackberry Melomel, Plastic Melomel
*Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug*

Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@deb_rn Where do you get your honey? best I've seen is 120 for 5 gal. That place had clove, sage, buckwheat and 2 or 3 others (orange maybe?)

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5532 Times on 3976 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I'm trying to picture the Mr. Beer fermenter in my mind. I think it'd be fine for primary, but not for secondary as I think the headspace is too wide. Two Carlo Rossi wine jugs would work great, though! The jugs take a #6 size stopper and you can use a regular airlock. That's what I'd do.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
pvtpublic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I'm trying to picture the Mr. Beer fermenter in my mind. I think it'd be fine for primary, but not for secondary as I think the headspace is too wide. Two Carlo Rossi wine jugs would work great, though! The jugs take a #6 size stopper and you can use a regular airlock. That's what I'd do.
Its not a problem for me because I make short meads. When it comes to regular meads then, I sincerely agree, that headspace would cause problems with oxidation during those aging months. Unless you make a 3 gallon batch which would fill it to the brim.
*Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug*

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Pixalated
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't want to bother racking to secondary. What is the longest time I can keep the mead on the yeast cake? I'd like to drink my mead this year, but I won't mind letting it ferment and then age in bottles for a few months.

I am planning to look for an apiary in Maryland and get some honey soon.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that a carboy works better but I have used the Mr. Beer keg for mead and it dose work.

Roger
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
deb_rn
Recipes 

I pick my honey up from the source. It's about 12 miles from my house! I just take the bucket in for refills and save the cost of the bucket over and over.
Shipping from anywhere is just so expensive!!

Debbie