American Lager OMG! Classic American Pilsner is Awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP840 - American Lager
Yeast Starter
Giant. I did 3 tubes in a gallon starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 55
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 weeks @ 35
Tasting Notes
Clean, malty, and crisp. Lots of finishing hops (Motueka) make it very refreshing!
9lb Pilsner Malt (Bries)
3lb Flaked Corn
1lb Rice Hulls

Mash @ 152

1 oz Hallertau @ 60 min
1 oz Motueka @ 30 min
1 oz Motueka @ flame out
1 oz Czech Saaz @ flame out

I would suggest breaking in your lagering setup with this easy and tasty recipe.

Recipe

Maybe I'll give this a try. I've been wanting to make my first lager with summer coming up and will probably go with a CAP. I have a modified refrigerator that I can use. What is your set up?

What the heck is Motueka hops?
Usage: Dual
Description: Lemon-Lime, Tropical Fruit and Spice is the best way to describe this wonderful Hop from Down Under. Originally imported to Belgian Breweries, It first was know as Belgian Saaz, then later changed to "B" Saaz to prevent confusion about country of origin, then later the name was changed to Motueka. Most recently it has seen growing popularity for it's heavy use in Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale.

I had never heard of those hops either but I have to say if that profile is accurate, they sound awesome!

Had a brew day where I did an IIPA with all the NZ hops I could find. We lined up all the hops and did a deep sniff of each. Moteuka was the clear winner. Clean citrus and spice. The perfect summer hop.

And apparently perfect for a Pilsner.

Good call on the d-rest! I did a d-rest for 2 days at 68 degrees after 2-weeks of primary.

My lagering setup is ebay aquarium temp controller (search HBT to find the thread) with a 4.4cf fridge from craig's list. All in, under $100.

Brew day was Feb 6th. I think it might still get better as it lagers in the Keg, but it's really good now.

I brewed this. After 3 weeks at 35 in the secondary its at 1.022. I only used one tube of yeast but started primary at 68 for 4 days before slowly going to 55. I want to bottle ASAP to have at 4th of July party. Any ideas?

Just read that you need about 3 points of gravity for priming, so you still have a ways to go...

I would suggest making a starter of SF Lager yeast and pitching that at 55f to try and get your gravity down before bottling...
You'll be hard pressed to get it carbed in bottles before the 4th though, even if you can bring the gravity down far enough.

Oh yeah. That would be great. I've done this recipe with different percentages of American and German Lager yeasts. The best batches have been with mainly German Lager yeast. The dry Safale would be great as long you take care of the yeast. Rehydrate....pitch enough cells...temp control....

You'll need about 25 grams of dry yeast according to Mr malty. So that's 2 of the bigger packets.

Motueka is a great hop IMO. I like that it has noble characteristics but a higher AA, usually around 6.5%, which keeps costs down. A lot of the noble hops where I live are 2-3% which is crap for bittering, even if you only need 25 IBUs. Makes a great single hop pilsner, or I use it 50/50 with tettnang or saaz for all lagers. Planning to try it in a hoppy pale ale soon, I think that would work well.

I just brewed one
80 percent Idaho 2 row
20 percent corn
23 ibu of cluster

1.053 OG and 34/70 for yeast

I can’t wait to try it!

Latest posts

Back