BIAB Keggle Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberwollf

Reaction score
I have loved the switch to BIAB, but I hate having to fire and stir every 15 mins to keep my rest temp. I wanted a kind of "hat" i could put on for insulation after everything was at temp. of course this will have to be removed to refire the MT.

I used some reflectix, super88, and sewing to make the "hat" I am trying it out tomorrow.

14b013ce.jpg

70830f89.jpg

e5799005.jpg

I had to take the eyebolt off my sight glass to get it to slide on..

looks clean! i would like to know if the plastic bubble wrap stuff in the reflectix doesnt melt, keep us posted.

Im hoping it doesnt. I know it wont hold up to direct firing, so im hoping that once Im at temp (maybe a degree higher) and done stirring, the skirt will be cool enough for me to slip it on

mashing at 154 and put the hat on. Came back to check in 30 mins and only lost 1.5 degrees. Not too bad for outside temp in the 20s. I think durring summer, I might just start mash 2 degrees higher and forget about it for the hour.

561cc72d.jpg

b11a92db.jpg

I haven't yet. I like variety so Im still trying lots of recipes. I bet you wouldnt notice much of a temp drop at all durring summer with a 10 gallon batch

I loved the arrogant bastard clone, soon as my lhbs gets chinook back instock, that will be my first 10 gal batch. Probably just ferment it in another empty sanke

How did you attach the flat top of the reflectix to the sides? Some type of adhesive?

Did it stand up to the heat?

Thanks Nice idea!

How did you attach the flat top of the reflectix to the sides? Some type of adhesive?

Did it stand up to the heat?

Thanks Nice idea!

Its just 2 layers of the insulation with Super88 spray adhesive between them. I just edge stitched the top on with a needle and thread. I planned on going back and using the metal tape to seal the top better, but brewing the summer i only lose 1-2 degrees in a 60 min mash so i havent bothered yet.

Holds up to heat well. I direct fire until Im at my step and then kill the heat and slide the "hat" on.

mashing at 154 and put the hat on. Came back to check in 30 mins and only lost 1.5 degrees. Not too bad for outside temp in the 20s. I think durring summer, I might just start mash 2 degrees higher and forget about it for the hour.

561cc72d.jpg

b11a92db.jpg

I'm waking up this old thread with a dumb, off topic question.. :off:

Your keg is more shiny than a brand new car! How did you get that sucker looking so good? I just got one yesterday, and I'd like to clean it up (as it's pretty dirty looking).. Nice insulation jacket, by the way! I'll be doing something similar to that, as well! Thanks in advance..

I'm waking up this old thread with a dumb, off topic question.. :off:

Your keg is more shiny than a brand new car! How did you get that sucker looking so good? I just got one yesterday, and I'd like to clean it up (as it's pretty dirty looking).. Nice insulation jacket, by the way! I'll be doing something similar to that, as well! Thanks in advance..

his keg has a shinny Matt finish, some guys go all out with a HIGH GLOSS..

check out the keg polishing thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/po...lever-euphemism-54025/index2.html#post3415905

-=Jason=-

Yep, I could never get the transition from fine gator grip to rubbing compound to work for me. Even the coarse rubbing compound wouldnt removed the swirls from the fine gator grip, so thats where I left it. looks good and the smooth surface does make it easier to clean too.

Thanks guys. Just got my first sanke keg yesterday. I'll be converting it soon, and I'd like to polish like that!

Back