Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II as an alternative

Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
adkins220
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II as an alternative

Hey guys,

New brewer here with maybe a stupid questions. I have Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II that i did not use in another kit (Phat Tire) I have a Honey Weizen that i would really like to brew up today but unfortunate they did not send yeast with this so my only option is to use the 1762. Is this a good idea or will it ruin the kit? I really have no idea or experience at using alternative yeast other than what sites recommend. Please let me know as soon as possible as i would like to get this cookin today.

Thanks for your help!

<----- I always like this guy! Sorry, first post.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
slomo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wyeast says that that the 1762 will produce fruity esters at higher temps or in high gravity wort. While a weizen can have fruity esters so I guess it could work. I say try it and see what happens, either way you will still have beer. Welcome to HBT.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You aren't going to have a weizen anymore, but I have a wheat based beer that could have been a hefe that I brewed with a Belgian yeast and it turned out well. Either way you'll have beer, and probably something that will turn out like you like it.

I don't know why all these kit makers recommend Belgian yeast for a Fat Tire clone just because the brewery's name is New Belgium. That beer is anything but Belgian.