No-Glug Carboy Pour..... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > No-Glug Carboy Pour.....

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Saratoga, NY
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Posting in the Wine forum first for feedback. Is this a known idea and I never heard about it...or what? But I thought it was a good solution.

So today I'm cleaning up a couple carboys and I generally fill them all the way to soak for a while. Trying to pour them out takes forever, and when the water glugs it splashes and is just a general pain. So I was thinking there has to be a better way... and remembering my bartender days with speedpours I grabbed my racking cane... stuck it in the carboy and started pouring. IT WORKED GREAT! The water came pouring out in a nice stream and the air traveled up the cane as needed. I wasn't sure if this was a known trick, or if no one really cares about standing there holding a gurgling carboy as it drains... but I wanted to share an easy way to drain water out of your carboys!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
gunner65
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lexington, KY
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Saw it on Mr. Wizard when I was a child.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Saratoga, NY

Well yea... I think we all understand the science... the application is not always possible, or efficient. I wouldn't do this with a 2Liter of soda (such as when making a large punch we would just take a knife to puncture the bottom similar to 'shotgunning' a can of beer.)

Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

What manner of sorcery!!!!????

When I clean out my Belgian bottles or bombers, as I'm tipping them over, I swirl to create a vortex. The liquid shoots right out because the air goes through the middle. It's also good for rinsing because it really seems to carry the cleaner away.

Not that I would try it with a carboy. Yikes.

Nice trick!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Saratoga, NY

yep... I do that with my bottles and 3 gal carboy.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
acolman
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Winnipeg

Homebrewers are the smartest people in the world!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Annubis
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Northeast, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolman View Post
Homebrewers are the smartest people in the world!
Have to be, can't let those sneaky little yeast-critters catch onto our ingenious plans!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
chicagobrew
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chicago, IL
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's pretty much how they empty whiskey barrels after aging. They have this little stainless steel thingy they put it the bung hole and the whiskey pours right out.