Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain Question

Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
davidamerica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain Question

Wanting to brew an all grain but only have a standard stove. Is there any way to do an all grain batch from a stove top without the special stand alone kerosine burners often used?

If not I will wait and do a partial mash

Thanks

Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
JadeMonkeyStang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Some people manage to do it by putting their brew pot across multiple burners at once, others use a heat stick to get a nice hard boil.

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Many people use either propane burners or electric heat sticks (when not using their stove top)... Not heard of anyone using a kerosene burner for brewing...

You could use the BIAB method to start, unless you already have a cooler mash tun ready.

Can you get 6-7 gallons of water up to a boil on your stove? If so, you're set. Provided you have a large enough pot.

Another, more tricky, option would be to split the wort into two pots and boil it. You'll want to split the hops in half and add them to both pots at the same times.

Another option would be to make smaller batches... Personally, I'm not going down that route. I use a propane burner, 32qt kettle, plus a 5 gallon HLT, and my 70qt cooler mash tun... I just need a place to setup, brewing water and a water source to feed my IC to chill it on down.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine