Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > dark lager
Old 03-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default dark lager

We're going to a private beer competition/party tomorrow. Most of the people there are not very beer savvy. The theme is lagers. Personally, I think of most lagers as relatively boring(ducks).
Can anyone recommend a complex lager, preferably dark and moderately
hoppy, that I can get a 6 pack of at a good beer store?
bill keiser

Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2911 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

Not hoppy, but I love vienna Lagers.

Great Lakes Eliot Ness (unusual in its 6.2% strength and 35 IBUs), Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pils

Trader Joes has a great Vienna/amber lager made by Gordon Biersch that is fantastic

Traditional Bocks are another fave of mine

Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel, Pennsylvania Brewing St. Nick Bock, Aass Bock, Great Lakes Rockefeller Bock, Stegmaier Brewhouse Bock

One of my new favorite beers is Shiner Bock, which is more like a vienna/amber lager than a true bock, but it good, and I've seen even in BMC stores.

And for a hoppy lager,

Sam Adam's Nobel Pils is an uber hoppy lager.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew