Sam Calagione speaks - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Calagione speaks

Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
jbsg02
Recipes 

Dec 2010
garland, tx
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

I just wanted to share this with everyone on here. I did a search to see if it had been posted and didn't find it. It is Sam speaking at Google about his business a little and about beer a lot. Enjoy!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 560 Times on 306 Posts

Thanks for the video, it's a nice comprehensive history of some of the things he's said in other speeches and what he says in his books. I still like to hear his stories over again. I really can't stand the DFH Midas Touch beer, but I love that story!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Is he always that douchey? I thought it was just hype for the show. I could only stand watching this for a few minutes before it just boiled into him telling stories about how awesome he thinks he is.

He talks a lot about how innovative and non-traditional he is, but it's not like there weren't IPAs prior to DFH. (BTW - "...continential styles like from England..." um, England is not on the continent, and if you're going to talk about breweries doing English styles, you might want to realize IPAs are also English beers.)

Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
462studio
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Maine
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think he's douchey. I think he loves what he does and he believes in himself. There's nothing wrong with that. I can see how it could be taken in the douchey direction, but I don't really feel that way about him.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 560 Times on 306 Posts

Yeah, I just think he's excited. He isn't talking about how he invented the IPA or anything, most of the innovative beers he discusses are recipes he invents or styles and recipes he brings from all over the world, making them available to people in retail. I'm not a fan of a lot of DFH beers but I respect the effort he puts into his work and the positive attitude he has about it all.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Acoma
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Peoria, AZ
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I've seen this video before. I like Sam and DFH but I'd like to see some more breweries. Unfortunately, since Google bought out youtube they put a ton of ads and the only reason they allowed such a long clip is because Sam went to Google for their employees. Maybe some other breweries will go to Google and give them free beer so they will put up more full brewery videos.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Delaware
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

I enjoyed the video. Sam is an interesting person to listen to. He has some good stories too.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
therealjazz
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I don't think he is a douche. He always seem positive, I would love to have him for a boss.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
ebid
Recipes 

Jul 2009
montgomery

i thought it interesting and he appeared genuine

Old 03-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
weirdboy
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
I've seen this video before. I like Sam and DFH but I'd like to see some more breweries. Unfortunately, since Google bought out youtube they put a ton of ads and the only reason they allowed such a long clip is because Sam went to Google for their employees. Maybe some other breweries will go to Google and give them free beer so they will put up more full brewery videos.
Guh?

There are other long clips on youtube that are unrelated to google.