Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Richard's Pumpkin Ale

Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #111
todd1234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sorry my iPhone autocorrect may have screwed up a few of the words. I meant to say "thought about using" not infusing. I'd probably add it to the boil. Never used lactose before though.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #112
Beerzilla
Recipes 

Are you going to use the maple syrup? I substituted it with 2lbs Light DME and found it to be sweet enough. Any sweeter and it would have been cloying.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #113
todd1234
Recipes 

I was going to skip the maple syrup and change the malt bill to
10 lbs 2 row
1 lb Vienna
3 lbs Munich 10L
.5 lb Caramel 20L
.5 lb White Wheat

I may or may not add .5-1 lb invert sugar depending on how my efficiency turns out. I'll be growing a starter from a Kolsch yeast slant so I expect it to be a little drier than the Safale yeast this recipe calls for. After what you just said I
might just skip the lactose after all.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #114
docon86
Recipes 

Default help please first time AG brewing and im doing this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
10 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb carapils
1 lb munich malt
1 lb vienna malt
1/2 lb crystal malt 60L
1 1/2 oz chinook at the boil
1 oz willamette and 1/2 oz cascade at 20 minute mark
1/2 oz cascade at the 2 minute mark
1 tbsp cinnamon and 1/2 tbsp nutmeg at 90 minute
1 tbsp cinnamon and 1/2 tbsp nutmeg at 20 minute
1 tbsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp nutmeg and 1 tbsp crushed whole corriander at the 2 minute
1 tbsp irish moss if desired, I don't use it
Use fresh spices. I often throw out kit spices as the are of inferior quality and age. Get whole corrinader, use a morter and pestle.
I use either 3 lbs of canned organic pumpkin or an eight pound pumpkin seeded with the exterior removed, cut into 1 inch cubes, then baked until soft at 350 degrees. some folks let it turn dark brown. for a more intense flavor, the choice is yours. I use a nylon bag in the boil to avoid the HUGE trub...some folks don't. ferment for at least 7 days. secondary for another two weeks. the secondary will allow you to siphon the beer off the trub. let bottle condition for 3-4 weeks. refrigerate condition for 2-3 weeks. this beer will hold up for a good year + bottled. it is an awesome product, you can add variations. don't use ginger, ugh....of course unless you're a ginger fan...then I'm sure it's good. give it time.....you won't be disappointed.
sorry for my stupid question but this is going to be my first AG. the only thing i dont understand is the time frames for the hops and spices can you please break it down i am a total noob sorry

Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #115
BolderBrew22
Recipes 

Default First All Grain

So I made a truncated version of the recipe for my first all grain batch.

I decided to do a 3 gallon batch so I wouldn't have 5 or 6 gallons of bad beer if I did it wrong.

I used a Brew in a bag method since I have a small apartment and little equipment.

90min boil

5 Lbs American 2-row
1 Lb Dark Munich
0.25 Lb Dark Crystal (60L)
0.25 Lb Carapils

Extras:

1Lb Organic canned pumpkin
1/2 tbsp cinnamon @60min
1/2 tsp nutmeg @ 60min

1/2 Tbsp cinnamon @20min
1/2 tsp nutmeg @20min
1/2 tsp corriander @20min

Hops:
0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
0.5oz goldings @ 15min

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale II

Mash - I added grains to 2 gallons of water at 168F in muslin bag which brought it down to around 152F for 30min. (grains absorbed about a gallon)

Sparge - 2 Gallons heated to 165 -> 20min

Drained grains (leaving about 3.5 gallons)

Combined sparge with mash. Added pumpkin in nylon bag. Boil for 30 min, followed by rest of timed additions of hops and spices.

I got impatient for my wort to cool (I don't have a wort chiller because $$) and pitched at too high of a temperature so it is currently bubbling away like mad. I'm sure it will turn out okay though. I don't have any temp control so it is sitting at 75F in my apartment. (who can afford to turn down their A/C to keep their beer cool?)

Next year I'll give up and just make saison all summer and turn off the A/C

Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #116
pikeman94
Recipes 

I am going to brew this once pumpkins go on sale the day after Halloween. I am thinking about putting the roasted pumpkin in the mash instead of the boil. Has anyone tried this?

-Pikeman

Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #117
Sammymatik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Idont think you wanna use carving pumpkins. Cooking pumpkins afre the way to go. Sugarpies are what usually use for pie. I guess the japanese kins' aren't bad either, have a slightly different taste. I also often use yams for pies and they taste much like pumpkin. I might throw some in there along with the kins'. If the fresh kins' aren't available, ill use canned.

This beer sounds great for thanksgiving and if I can get this in the fermenter this weekend I should have just enough time to get it on the table for turkey day.

I do have a question... Would adding wheat to the grain bill throw things way off? Also would wheat require a heffe yeast? The clove notes would be nice if they came from them. Also still not sure about adding veg to the boil or the mash....

Sounds fun and yum!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #118
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I just brewed this BIAB with the same grain bill and spices but with halletauer and fuggle hops because that's what I had on hand. I'm new to Beersmith and my IBU's changed after I changed my equipment on Beersmith and it says it has 46.7 IBU's!!! The hops are three years old but were vacuum sealed in my freezer. I hope this beer is not too bitter for the style.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #119
xkrieg
Recipes 

Hello, I realize that this is an older post, but Thanksgiving 2013 is coming up soon, and I was hoping to make a recipe very similar to the original one posted here. Unfortunately, I do not have any temperature control, and my house is about 80degF. Do you think this recipe would still work with WLP566 Saison II yeast? I am really just after the pumpkin/spice taste. Thanks for your input!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #120
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkrieg View Post
Hello, I realize that this is an older post, but Thanksgiving 2013 is coming up soon, and I was hoping to make a recipe very similar to the original one posted here. Unfortunately, I do not have any temperature control, and my house is about 80degF. Do you think this recipe would still work with WLP566 Saison II yeast? I am really just after the pumpkin/spice taste. Thanks for your input!
I honestly don't know anything about Saison yeast but I do think 80 degrees is too warm for most ales. Do you have a way to keep the wert cool during fermentation? Maybe a water bath can help keep the temperature down in the 70s.