Autumn Seasonal Beer Richard's Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-56
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 days at 72 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 72 degrees
Additional Fermentation
32 days at 38 degrees
I made this at 6 1/4 gallons to insure that I ended up with 5 gallons in the keg. The pumpkin was added to the boil and I let as much as possible get into the fermenter. I figured that it would infuse the pumpkin flavor better. This did create a bunch of sediment in the primary but I was able to get a little over 5 gallons into the secondary. I didn't add it to the mash because I have read that there isn't much starch in pumpkin and it isn't worth the trouble and risk of a stuck sparge. I also read that canned pumpkin is just as good if not better than whole so I bought 2 large cans. The flavor is pretty clean and you can definitely taste the pumpkin and spices. I think it is well balanced but some folks might like a bit more of the spices to come through. If so, I would double the amounts. Maybe even put half in during secondary fermentation. The Maple syrup fermented out completely and no flavor Can be detected. I wouldn't recommend it's use in this beer. It was kegged and forced carbonated at 12 PSI.
I had an experienced beer judge tell me it was one of the best pumpkin beers he had ever tasted.
Edit: This beer scored a 35.5 in the first round of the AHA's national home brew contest.

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 6.25 Wort Size (Gal): 6.25
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.50
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.17
Anticipated SRM: 12.5
Anticipated IBU: 25.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.5 9.50 lbs. American 2-row America 1.038 2
13.8 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
17.2 2.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.031 35
3.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 17.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 8.5 30 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.63 Lbs Pumpkin Fruit 90 Min.(boil)
2.50 Tsp Cinnamon Spice 10 Min.(boil)
1.50 Tsp Nutmeg Spice 10 Min.(boil)
1.50 Tsp Allspice Spice 10 Min.(boil)
0.15 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
Safale US-56 California Ale (Chico)

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 12.00
Water Qts: 12.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.96 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I am planning a pumpkin spice beer to be ready for the Thanksgiving holiday, this seems to be what I am looking for. I have a couple questions though:

-Do you think it would be detrimental to stain out the pumpkin from the kettle before going into primary? I have a 26 qt limit on my boil and only have 6.5 g better bottle as a primary. I think I might end up getting a 7g bucket, add some extract, and top up with a gallon or so of water at the end.

-I see you let this ferment for over 2 months total. Do you think it needs all this time or was this just convenient for you. I bottle so I am trying to be sure I start this early enough to be well conditioned by mid November.

Thanks.

Beerrific said:
-Do you think it would be detrimental to stain out the pumpkin from the kettle before going into primary? I have a 26 qt limit on my boil and only have 6.5 g better bottle as a primary. I think I might end up getting a 7g bucket, add some extract, and top up with a gallon or so of water at the end..
I think you could strain out the pumpkin. It may not impart as much flavor but if you don't have room this is the next best option.

Beerrific said:
-I see you let this ferment for over 2 months total. Do you think it needs all this time or was this just convenient for you. I bottle so I am trying to be sure I start this early enough to be well conditioned by mid November.

The main reason I let it set for so long in the secondary is clarity. I wanted it to be as clear as possible and I was told that the pumpkin would add additional haze to the beer.
It ended up being quite clear even when chilled.

An update on this beer brewed over a year ago. I entered it in the 2007 National Home Brew Contest and although it didn't make it to the final round I received a decent score with it. I would have scored even higher but the judges said it didn't quite match the base style. (I Chose Irish Red because I couldn't find a style any closer to the beer).

Judges comments:

"This is a well made beer. Nice aroma and appearance. The spices overpowered a touch leaving the base maltiness and roastiness behind. Try less spice to improve. Good job!" Score 33/50

"Excellent example. The spices all present and not dominant. This base style should finish a little drier.A very small amount of roast might help this." Score 38/50

I had the lucky opportunity to sample this at the NHBC, I have to say in 100% honesty this was the single best pumpkin beer I've ever had--both homebrew and commercial. It integrated the pumpkin and spices perfectly (not too much, not too little). I am going to brew this sometime this summer so it is nice and ready by Turkey Day 2007. If mine is half as good as Rich's was--whoa, look out!

Hey rich, do you think that this recipe would benefit from lactose. Most of my family is pretty limited in their appreciation of beer but I would love to impress them all with this beer, so what do you say, leave it be or some subtle changes?
Thanks

Warped04 said:
It looked great, I was thinking about trying to make an extract recipe out of it, since I'm no where near your guys' level.

Any luck coming up with an extract clone of this recipe?

I got all the fixins for this ordered. I'm going to brew it this weekend. I wanted an easier approach, like a kit from AHS or Northern Brewer but I can't find any feedback on how they turn out. I'm a little worried with this recipe because I only have a 30 qt brewpot.

I'm going to be brewing this one up tyhis weekend. I ordered the Safale us-56 yeast like the recipe says. I have an ordinary bitter that I will be transferring to keg that was made with Wyeast London ESB 1968. From the descriptions that I have gathered about the two, the London ESB is a bit fruitier and the Safale is a bit cleaner.

Should I just stick to the recipe or throw it on to the yeast cake? I should get a nice quick fermentation that way. Just don't want the flavor to be drastically different.

jerly said:
I'm going to be brewing this one up tyhis weekend. I ordered the Safale us-56 yeast like the recipe says. I have an ordinary bitter that I will be transferring to keg that was made with Wyeast London ESB 1968. From the descriptions that I have gathered about the two, the London ESB is a bit fruitier and the Safale is a bit cleaner.

Should I just stick to the recipe or throw it on to the yeast cake? I should get a nice quick fermentation that way. Just don't want the flavor to be drastically different.
I'm thinking you will end up with a sweeter maltier beer which might be OK. I chose us-56 because it is clean and neutral. It's up to you and your preference.:mug:

Putting this order together as we speak...you said you couldn't taste the maple syrup and I am happy leaving this out ($$$), what would you recommend to bring the OG up? Just scale everything?

Hey Rich did you use 100% maple syrup in your recipe or just plain ol' watered down maple syrup in your recipe? Had me a Maple Nut Brown Ale this evening and the Maple syrup was amazing. Think it would be fantastic in this beer.:mug:

dblvsn said:
Hey Rich did you use 100% maple syrup in your recipe or just plain ol' watered down maple syrup in your recipe? Had me a Maple Nut Brown Ale this evening and the Maple syrup was amazing. Think it would be fantastic in this beer.:mug:
It was pure maple syrup and it cost A LOT.

Beerrific said:
Putting this order together as we speak...you said you couldn't taste the maple syrup and I am happy leaving this out ($$$), what would you recommend to bring the OG up? Just scale everything?
Yes I would just scale up the grain bill. You could also use honey if you want to boost the OG without increasing the body of the beer.

As far as replacing the syrup in this recipe, would two lbs. of dme do the trick? Would I get the same amount of fermentables?

jerly said:
As far as replacing the syrup in this recipe, would two lbs. of dme do the trick? Would I get the same amount of fermentables?
Two pounds of DME would do the trick. You may want to up the hop schedule just a tad though to balance the extra malt.

I'm thinking about brewing something similar to this. Would you reccomend roasting the pumpkin for a bit before adding to the boil, or just straight from the can?

I've seen both ways reccomended.

-D

Llarian said:
I'm thinking about brewing something similar to this. Would you reccomend roasting the pumpkin for a bit before adding to the boil, or just straight from the can?

I've seen both ways reccomended.

-D
I've heard a lot of people say they roasted theirs. I think it's a matter of personal taste. I like the way mine turned out so I won't roast the pumpkin in future batches.

MriswitH said:
Anyone able to convert this to PM or Extract?

I would looove to do this recipe for Fall.
I've suggested to others to use 7 pounds of light DME in place of the 2 row and the Munich. You can then steep the Cristal and keep everything else the same.

MriswitH said:
Anyone able to convert this to PM or Extract?

I would looove to do this recipe for Fall.

This would be a good PM

5 lbs of amber or light DME
2 lbs. Munich (mashed)
0.5 lbs crystal 40

spices the same. That would be about a 5.5 ABV for 5 gallons. Do 4 lbs of DME to get a 4.6 ABV. You could get the munich flavor out of it this way since it is a PM.

Rich,

Where did you get the canned pumpkin from? I looked at the grocery store but I couldn't seem to find it. Does it come in chunks or is it more of a mush like the pie filling?

Pabst Blue Robot said:
Rich,

Where did you get the canned pumpkin from? I looked at the grocery store but I couldn't seem to find it. Does it come in chunks or is it more of a mush like the pie filling?
I purchased 2 large cans of pumpkin. I think it was Libby or something like that. The stuff is like apple sauce when you pour it out.

So no mashing the pumpkin? I keep hearing people say both "you have to mash it because of the starches" or "just boil it because there isnt much starch in pumpkin". Who do I believe?!?

syvmn said:
So no mashing the pumpkin? I keep hearing people say both "you have to mash it because of the starches" or "just boil it because there isnt much starch in pumpkin". Who do I believe?!?

My understanding is fresh = mash, canned = boil

ok, i have no idea why that would matter, but ill go with it. 90min boil on the canned stuff? I think I'll just do 60 so that I can get as much into the fermenter as possible.

Beerrific said:
The stuff in the cans is just fresh mushed up.

Guess that makes sense, I had heard it was cooked up when it was canned.

I just found a site that says this:

THE STARCH CONTENT OF FOODS expressed as g/100g of food

Pumpkin (raw) 0.3
(boiled in salted water) 0.1

Comparatively:
Sweet potato (raw) 15.6
(boiled in salted water) 8.9

So, fwiw, I'm going to put it in the boil.

Rich,

Over a year later, and I finally brewed this! Thanks for the recipe it smells fantastic! Since I'm not aging it as long as you did, I scaled back the spices, and I added 1/4tsp of ginger.

Rich,

Over a year later, and I finally brewed this! Thanks for the recipe it smells fantastic! Since I'm not aging it as long as you did, I scaled back the spices, and I added 1/4tsp of ginger.

Great! Let us know how it turnd out!:mug:
Is your fermenter filled with orange trub???

Is your fermenter filled with orange trub???

Yes, most of it is submerged under water in one of those Red Party Tubs, but it has a noticeable orange tint to it.

pumpkin_ale.JPG

Will be making this tomorrow or Tuesday, I was told by the LHBS to just add the pumpkin the last 10 minutes of the boil.. but you guys all recommend the 90 minute.. Any pro con ot either, I may have misheard them as well..

Also, no one chimed in wiht the baking the pumpkin, anyone got some experience with doing it?

I have a huge amount of sediment on my beer carboy like 1/4 of it is sediment, looks ike its more then a gallons worth.. it looks like the pumpkin settled at the bottom.. but even then there wasn't that much in there.. Any idea what the problem is.. btw it was a 1.016 last night

082808_223600.jpg

There is a picture of it.. I was told by steveR to "rouse" it so I did taht this morning.. and alot of it ent away, I suppose it will be back tonight thouhg.. any other thoughts?

Hey Timber. Sorry I didn't see your posts. Sounds like everything is going swimmingly. You look like you have about as much sediment as I do. It's also probably clinging up the sides a little and not all level. There is also liquid in the sediment.

I'd let it settle for as long as you can before you rack or bottle it. If you "rouse" it then bottle it, you'll end up with all of that sediment in your bottles. Not good drinks.

I show the FG as being 1.015, so I think you are pretty close.

well i will rouse it everday for about another week, then let it clear for a week before bottling.. so it will ahve been in primary for 3 weeks by that time.. then Bottling, it will be ready just about time for halloween (hoping). so am I gonna be able to rack some liquid out of that crap or am I gonna be cutting my amount drammatically (like I said im guessin there is at least a gallons worth of sediment there)

well i will rouse it everday for about another week

Why are you going to do that? Typically rousing is for a stuck fermentation. I was guessing that steveR probably thought you were trying to get down to 1.010 from 1.016. Was there another reason he suggested you do that? It should be just happy happy sitting there and motating.

so am I gonna be able to rack some liquid out of that crap or am I gonna be cutting my amount drammatically (like I said im guessin there is at least a gallons worth of sediment there)

You have a couple of options. I made close to 6 gallons knowing that I would not get to keep it all sacraficing for a clearer beer.

You can rack as much liquid out of there to your secondary and let it settle again, and you will probably get more.

If you don't mind a little trub floating around in your beer take as much as you can. I did that for my Apricot Blonde, and wasn't satisfied because of it. (It did settle out in the bottle, but even a little sneaking in the glass I think took away from the beer).

So it's really your call on a personal preference for you.

Back