stupid servers in stupid restaurants - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > stupid servers in stupid restaurants

Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
cimirie

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Orlando, FL
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I've seen this before. I'm sure you all have seen it before, so this isn't ground-breaking, but it made me laugh and cry last night.

So I went to this restaurant for dinner last night. Of course, I'm interested in the beer list. So my 13 year old waitress (probably not, but she looked it) begins reciting the beer list.

"For our domestics we have PBR, Coors Light, Bud Light, Labatt Blue, and they're $2.75." Now here in Florida, the addition of Labatt was odd, but it was common place when I lived in Detroit so I really took no notice.

"For our imports, we have Sam Adams, Shocktop, Blue Moon, Leinekugle, and we usually have Corona, but we're out. Those are $3.50."

You see where I'm going with this. "You do realize, of all the beers you mentioned, the only one that is actually an import you have listed as a domestic, right?"

Without missing a beat and still smiling, she responds "Nope, I told you the imports."

"Yeah, but imported means made in another country. All of your imports are made in the US."

The following could quite possibly be in my server hall of fame. "For beer, that's not what 'import' means. For beer, import just means better." -WAIT FOR IT- "My brother is 20 and drinks alot of beer. He should know."

And to that, what could I say? I had an 'imported' Blue Moon. You know what, she was right. It tasted better!

So things I learned last night: 1) stop being frustrated when restaurants use false words they don't understand to categorize things. 2) Those who invent words, invented an entirely different definition of "import" just for beer. Now doesn't that make us all in the beer community all warm and fuzzy? 3) Don't ever take beer advice from a 20 year old.

thank you all. Rant done.
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

This drives me nuts. The servers where I work get coached on how to present the new wines or other alcoholic beverages we get in, but never on the new beers. I have heard Guiness explained as " kinda Strong alcohol and very bitter" and SA Boston Lager as "its kinda caramely ale like". I have heard it all from my servers.
I just recently started doing beer tastings at work whenever we roll out a new dish and get a new beer, its helped a bit.
Then again, we charge Import prices for a Labatts Blue, even though its as cheap as Bud Light here. And Peronni is cheaper then Blue Moon lol

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

When the server says "import" I hear "craft" and I have no problem. It would be nice to educate folks, but it's more amusing to me than annoying.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
cimirie

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Orlando, FL
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Pappers -

It doesn't really drive me nuts anymore, but the combo of her statements PLUS the stupid labels was too much for me not to remember.

Some restaurants I go to label them "standard" and "premium" or "select" or something. They may not be 100% accurate, but that label at least isn't 100% innacurate. It amuses me.

Arneba - First impressions are important. What people hear, they will taste. If that same server had described Guiness as smooth, creamy, rich but suprisingly light, the customer couldn't have ordered it fast enough! Good on you for bringing out the beer tasting for your team!
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4859 Times on 3275 Posts

My wife hates it when we go to a restaurant that has beer...

I try not to be picky, but them waitresses are SO DUMB! Can't they simply print out a beer list to hand to the customer? It would save us so much frustration and a lot of time too. And it might help the waitresses keep a big tip.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3460 Times on 3281 Posts

In her defense, in a restaurant setting, she is correct. Import means "better". We all know this. Quit letting it surprise you already.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
a10t2
Recipes 

May 2010
Leadville, CO
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
"its kinda caramely ale like"
In their defense, that may be the best, most concise description of Boston Lager I've ever heard.
squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
cricky101
Recipes 

Jan 2011
St. Paul, MN
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I always just hear "import" to mean "more expensive." In St. Paul, Summit Pale Ale (brewed right here) is an "import" at some restaurants.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts

It's a throwback from the days when "imports" were just that: imported.

And, cut the poor 16-y-old girl a break - She could be your own daughter!

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
rycov
Recipes 

Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
\
I try not to be picky, but them waitresses are SO DUMB! Can't they simply print out a beer list to hand to the customer?
some times no. i worked at a restaurant for a long time and tried to get an actual printed beer list, but the owner said it would be tacky. plus that restaurant sounds like they are more about food than beer. (not to dispute the OP's point, that is rediculous. **** made me laugh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.