80% into Boiler = 62% OG???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
My last 2 brews have been right between 70-75% into BK. Today I got 80. Boil off set to 9% in Beersmith. Did the regular boil and got 62% into carboy and WAY too much wort. Today was supposed to be 11g, got almost 12.5. I am doing the rolling boil for an hour......maybe it's a BS setting? Something else??? Why so much wort in the keggle?

FYI, with that much grain and such a poor efficiency, I am unable to make a 11g batch with a 10g igloo cooler. :(

The recipe was 25.25 lbs grain in a 10g igloo, batch sparge. 31qt. (7.75g) strike with 9 gallons sparge. Keggle BK.

I guess I want to be able to get closer to the right final volume and it will all be correct.

If you ended up with more wort after the boil then your effincy is higher than you think. Did you make the change in beer smith to account for more wort? Click on brewhouse eff. Button and put in you final volume with the sg. I'll bet it's mid 70s easy. I'd do it but I'm on my phone.

Yes this is a simple matter of correcting the volume. I don't use online calculators but figure it out the old timey way.

Assume the grain is going to absorb 0.1 gal per lb.

Mash in at whatever ratio you choose. 1.25 qts/lb is popular.

You need to guess at the total boil off (loss to steam) and hop absorbtion and trub. I collect 6.5 gallons to fill a 5 gallon carboy.

Crunch the numbers and you'll get the sparge volume required. If you fly sparge (I do), instead of sweating the volume you can use a story pole to tell you when your at the right collected wort level. I just make sure I have 10-20% extra sparge water in the HLT and let er flicker.

I guess that's a good reason to fly. I batch and don't have the equipment to fly (not sure I even want to for time). I guess I'm surprised BS was that far off. I corrected and got about 72%. Still, I need to figure out how to correct this. I'm gonna play a bit with BS tonight......

Looking at the amount you actually boiled off (.75 gallons) is the way I set the boil off rate in Beersmith. You want to end up with 11 gallon and you boil off .75 so you need to adjust your starting boil to 11.75 gallon. That would be 6.5%
boil off not 9%. You also seem to have another extra gallon not accounted for in your start. I would check your equipment profile and see if BS is adjusting for your loss to boil trub and chiller. The problem with some of the popular 6 gallon recipes (scaled to 12 or multiples) is that the author manually subtract the loss to trub but you don't have to with BS.

I wouldn't give up on batch sparging Think about if you were making Kool Aid and you were supposed to add 2 quarts of water and you added 3 quarts instead.... it would be more watery.

Looking at the amount you actually boiled off (.75 gallons) is the way I set the boil off rate in Beersmith.

Yeah, the trouble with boil off is that its related to the amount of surface area you have, not the amount of volume. You could have three times as much volume, but if the surface area was the same you're going to have about the same boil off. Since it sounds like you've at least now got an idea of your boil-off volume, use that instead of the percent and you should be good to go for the future.

Yes, I get the boil off. I will use 6-7% next time and see if I fare better. This was my first brew with a keggle, so I was not used to the equipment.

Thanks for the assistance.

Back