No-Sparge BIAB Water Volume - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No-Sparge BIAB Water Volume

Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about to try my first all-grain batch using the brew in a bag method. I plan on skipping the sparge, and mashing in the full volume of water that I need for a 5g batch. The problem is, I don't know how much water to start with. I've seen all sorts of ratios and figures to calculate water volume, but I'm not sure which to use for the no-sparge method. I don't know my boil-off rate (first time using my new kettle), but I do know that I'm using 9lbs. of grain. Should I assume a 1g boil-off rate? If that's the case, my pre-boil water volume needs to be 6g. But how do I account for grain absorption?

What amount of water would you use for a 9lb. grain bill?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Here's an Excel calculator I put together, works perfect for me.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Here's an Excel calculator I put together, works perfect for me.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...nc&hl=en#gid=0
Wow, that's a handy tool! According to the spreadsheet, I would need to start with 7.13 gallons of water. Do you squeeze the grain bag after letting it drain back into the kettle?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
Wow, that's a handy tool! According to the spreadsheet, I would need to start with 7.13 gallons of water. Do you squeeze the grain bag after letting it drain back into the kettle?
I generally squeeze the bag as much as possible, and also sparge most of the time. If I want to sparge, I just subtract ~2 gallons from the initial strike volume and sparge with that.

I've embed the spreadsheet on my blog, might be easier to use there.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

Quote:
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
bschoenb
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1058

Quote:

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
gunner65

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lexington, KY
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I do a 90 minute boil and it takes 9 gallons to do a 1.055 ish gravity beer 5.5 gallons into the ferm. I figure close to a gallon lossed to grain even though I sqeeze nearly 2 gallons lossed in the 90 minute boil then there is the wort lossed in the lines of the chiller pump etc. That is just how it works out for me YMMV

Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Mysticmead

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

or if you can sew or know someone that can... you can make a bag out of Voile.. it can be found at any fabric store in the drapery section.

as far as grain absorption, I use grain x .15 = absorption

for total volume I use final volume + absorption + boil off + trub loss = total volume. for MY kettle using a 9lb grain bill I would use 5 + 1.35 + 1 + .25 = 7.6 that would give me enough water to account for a higher than normal boil off (weather conditions change boil off rate) or a higher amount absorbed by grain or hops or if I get a higher amount of trub from hot break/cold break.

that calculator is a good tool to have a link to...thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.

Also, if I do want to sparge, do I need to do a mash-out? And how long do I let the grains sit in the kettle with the sparging water?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.
That should be fine. If you add to much, just crank the burner and boil for a little while longer, but that will change your bitterness.

Quote: