Orfy's bud thread made me think..... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Orfy's bud thread made me think.....

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Okay, you've gotta figure that to get the job of Brew Master at AB or one of the other big commercial breweries you need a pretty impressive brewing resume(even if it is from other commercial breweries). If you've spent that much time around/making beer you most likely appreciate good beer. So, you'd think that a skilled brewer who appreciates, and is able to make, good beer would feel guilty about selling his/her soul to the devil. And, I know that if I didn't feel good about what I did for a living I wouldn't be able to go to work everyday.

Don't get me wrong, while I vastly prefer a nice flavorful beer, sometimes a near freezing bud or PBR hits the spot(I'm thinking August + Volleyball + Bikini Chicks <> Stout and/or Porter)

So, here's the question..... Do you think these brewers realize/care that they're making an inferior product(and securing their place in hell), or do they get paid so much that they say, "I make enough money, I don't have to buy my own product" ?

Sorry for the rant, car's in the shop and I'm working from home tomorrow so I've had a few...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

I'd debate if they do have brewers working for them

We know it is marketing driven. So I think they will have a bunch of marketers telling Technicians what they want. They'll go off and do some small scale batches for the marketers to test taste on punters. The Techies will adjust then put into automated production.

They'll have Marketers, Technician, analysts and production engineers.

No room for brewers

Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Probably more like chemists or biologists working for them than actual people who consider themselves "brewmasters." The team of chemists probably put together the most monetarily efficient formula's to create the product we all know as pisswater.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

1) There are many people that are very good at what they do but do not enjoy the product they produce.
2) One man's job is another man's hobby.
3) Example: Ask a chef what his guilty pleasure is? What he eats at home?
Do you think he goes through all of the trouble?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1658 Times on 1071 Posts

I just watched Ultimate Factories and it was all about AB and their process. They have the process down completely and a "batch" is 110,000 gallons spread between 11 tanks (IIRC). After the whole beechwood aging thing, two brewmasters pull a sample from each and line them up for tasting. They take notes on each one and start deciding which tanks need blending to balance sweet/bitter to the desired budweiser flavor (really?). I don't love the beer, but I stand in awe of the sheer scale and consistency.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Mar 2006
East Peoria, IL
Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

I've been to AB several times in St. Louis. . .Its impressive to see their setup. They literally have it extremely automated-- their "brewmaster" was pointed out on one of our tours-- he was sitting in a computer controller room monitoring the process. I don't think there is much "hands on" that occurs at that place.

They do have their process down though.

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

I once read an interview with some famous high-class chef in one of Chicago's premier restaurants. They were asking him about what he cooks for his family and he admitted that his sons (<10 years old, I think) didn't like his food. They like Mac & Cheese (blue box) and McD's. So that's what he feeds them. He knows the junk that's in the food, but it's what his "customers" want.

The ultimate goal of a brewer shouldn't just be to make fantastic, innovative recipes. The goal should be to consistantly make recipes that your audience loves. A great brewer can make the exact same tasting brew over and over again.

I think it must be like being a pilot. When I get on a 747, I don't care that my pilot was once a Blue Angel and can do barrel rolls and fly an inch from another jet. I want my pilot to be very good at going up, holding steady, then coming down. Nothing interesting, please!
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Another example is a musician. Some make music that they do not like but they know is popular. Some make music that they personally like which may be or often isn't popular.

If either is successful at what they do, it is admirable eeither way.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Another example is a musician. Some make music that they do not like but they know is popular. Some make music that they personally like which may be or often isn't popular.

If either is successful at what they do, it is admirable eeither way.
Like the Eagles still playing Hotel California or Skynyrd playing Free Bird. Or the Stones and "Jumping Jack Flash".

You know they're sick to death of it, but it'd piss me off if they didn't play it after I spent $200 to see them.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Come on guys!!!!!!!!!

Where talking about Bud here!