Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Rochefort 10 Clone

Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
cat007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I meant how did you do your mash?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
rocco336
Recipes 

30 min at 135, 40 at 145, then 20 min at 160, then 10 at 170 for mahout.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
cat007
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco336 View Post
30 min at 135, 40 at 145, then 20 min at 160, then 10 at 170 for mahout.
Ok thanks for that!

Forgive me for asking a possible obvious question - but I just need to clarify something.

When you say 30 mins at 135 then 40 at 145, does that mean you use strike water to get your grains up to 135, hold for 30 mins, grab some of the grains and heat them to a certain temp so that when you add them back to the mash the whole thing hits 145, then do the same for 160 then 170?

Something like the way this guy does it?

Thanks again

Hunt

Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
rocco336
Recipes 

Yup. I hit my target temp with strike water (135) held for 5 min then decocted and boiled part of my mash to raise the temp to the next temp., rinse and repeat.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Has anyone made their own dark candi syrup? How many pounds of sugar will I need to make 3 pounds of candi? Am I better off buying the stuff or making it?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
Has anyone made their own dark candi syrup? How many pounds of sugar will I need to make 3 pounds of candi? Am I better off buying the stuff or making it?
hope no one minds a noob answering this - in my experience I actually came out with slightly more, ie - like -.07 - .10 lbs more syrup/hard candy than sugar because there is some water in it - so, if you use 1lb of cane sugar, you might end up with 1.07 to 1.10 lbs of candi syrup/hard

if I may suggest - buy a commercial version of what you need - like 1 lb of it, and then if you already found out by now about Snick's DAP thread for maillard reactions - make yours and compare side by side. I've compared an amber I made to the 45 and others thought mine was sweeter and more unique while 45 was just toasty or "carmelly" - all well and good but from the sounds of the debate - not as diverse as what it could be with the yeast nutrient

I actually further altered Snick's ideas and added a steeped spice mix at the cool down stage before ramping up to soft or hard crack as I think it adds a deeper flavor - I made a pumpkin candi sugar for a pumpkin saison and the DAP method of making your own sugar along with my mods really contributed to aroma and flavor while still letting the style stand out as well. I think if you do the testing and spend (I think mine was $6 for a lb) then you may just find yours is deeper in flavor, and your beer will be even more of your own creation, plus I think I spent .75cents to a dollar a pound making it myself. Just make sure you have a deep enough pot and a candy thermometer, along with a cooldown pan or whatever you want to shape it in

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

has anyone thought of using hints of black licorice or amaretto in a dark strong / quad profile? Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this flavor for this type of brew.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wouldn't add licorice, i haven't brewed this one but I have done a couple of similar brews and the licorice taste is very present, yet pleasant.

As far as amaretto now you are giving me ideas.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
I wouldn't add licorice, i haven't brewed this one but I have done a couple of similar brews and the licorice taste is very present, yet pleasant.

As far as amaretto now you are giving me ideas.
thanks for sharing your experience with licorice - the more I hear from everyone on this the less I want to use it in my BDS

the amaretto is a really intriguing pairing for me with this style - I'm going to implement amaretto in two places for my upcoming BDS brew:

First - Adding it to Candi Sugar (Adapted from Snick's #5 Sugar):
4lbs
Over medium heat bring to a boil
1.5 lbs Cane Sugar, 1lb unrefined Cane, .75 lbs Date Sugar, .5 lbs Turbinado, .25 lbs Dark Brown Sugar
3 Cups Water
2 Tbsp DAP
Raise this to the terminal temperature of 290F. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1& 3/4 Cups Water, 1/4 cup of Disaronno
Continue stirring until the sugars are dissolved. Again, bring the solution up to 290F over medium heat. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1& 3/4 Cups Water, 1/4 cup of Disaronno
Stir this until the sugars are dissolved and the temperature starts to rise a couple degrees. This Should be right at or just above soft ball (240F). This is when the syrup is done. Stop the cooking by submerging the pan in cool water or by transferring the syrup to a preheated mason jar.

Second - At Bottling Time
I have really enjoyed my recent combination (5 gal batch): 4 oz Cane and .75 oz Turbinado dissolved in 2 cups of water for bottling bucket.

This time, I'm going to add .25 oz of Amaretto

- not sure how much this will add to taste, but, I think with 4.25 oz of Amaretto used total for this Batch, I might get a hint of something - its only .007% of the batch. I may have to tweak the amount in the Candi sugar - in my experience, when you add outside flavors and spices to the candi sugar, it absolutely will impart additional flavors on the brew - sort of in a back door, "there's a hint of X" sort of way.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Woah! Is this still the Rocherfort 10 thread? You should not be adding spices or spice extracts to the R-10, (or the R-8 for that matter). BLAM states that Coriander is used in the R-8 but I have never detected Coriander (Green or white variaties), in any Rochefort over the last 6 years so if was once used it is no longer being used.

Brewed well with the right adjuncts and grains, and bottle conditioned over time you should be able to achieve these flavors via esters and yeast+grain+candi syrup combination. WLP 540 will produce these subtle esters at the right ferm temps. I've had pronounced licorice turn up in an English stout using only maris otter, D-180 + Munton's Chocolate Malt so it's not theoretical.
"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer