Headed to Colorado/Wyoming and looking for breweries? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Headed to Colorado/Wyoming and looking for breweries?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts

I will be flying into Denver with the fam. We are leaving the next day to head up the Laramie, I notice the tours at new belgium are already booked that Saturday which is like 4 weeks away and odells don't start until 1. These are both breweries I wanted to visit, I am hoping to him them on the way back down but are there any other suggestions of good breweries that will be open in the morning for tours on our way up?

On the way down I thought about the great divide too and oskar blues would be cool I am guessing.

Anyways, any tips for the area etc...?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

You've already mentioned the ones I know of that are near I25. If you go to ODell's, Fort Collins Brewery is just a block or so away on the same road. No tours that I know of but there are glass windows to see the brewery in their tasting room.

Will you be going through Boulder? Just recently tried Upslope Brown Ale and thought it was really good. They are in Boulder.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
You've already mentioned the ones I know of that are near I25. If you go to ODell's, Fort Collins Brewery is just a block or so away on the same road. No tours that I know of but there are glass windows to see the brewery in their tasting room.

Will you be going through Boulder? Just recently tried Upslope Brown Ale and thought it was really good. They are in Boulder.
I don't want to vier off the track too much as my wife is not a beer lover like I am so I am trying to pick ones that are right in our path.

If I got over to boulder, I'd prolly go to avery, just going by what I know though.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
skultch
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Breckenridge, CO

If you go to Avery, you could also go to the Boulder BC. I love their Planet Porter.

Will you be going into the Colorado mountains? There are 4 breweries in Summit County, all within 15 minutes of I-70, and 70 min from I-25. Breckenridge, Backcountry (Frisco), Dillon Dam, and Pug Ryan's (Dillon). I don't know about tours, but all 4 are very small, with restaurants, so you might be able to get a quick tour for nothing. Dilllon Dam has a good brown ale always on tap. Breck might have some of their small batch 471 IPA that is very good. I also like their Pandora's Bock and Oatmeal Stout, which are always available.

Further up I-70 are the Gore Range and Crazy Mountain BCs, both in Edwards. I had one of Crazy's at the Vail Big Beer and Barleywine festival, and it was tremendous, but I don't remember the style.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
doobliebop
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Fort collins: Funkwerks.
Denver: Falling Rock Taphouse, Great divide
Boulder: Asher
Springs: Trinity

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobliebop View Post
Fort collins: Funkwerks.
Denver: Falling Rock Taphouse, Great divide
Boulder: Asher
Springs: Trinity
cool, we will be in springs for nearly a week, glad there is something there too. and I see they are tapping Pliny the younger the week prior

Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
bgruis
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Johnstown CO, Colorado
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A couple additional options in Ft Collins, very near to Odells, New Beligum and Ft Collins Brewery are a couple smaller options. No tour to speak of but very cool little places. Coopersmiths is a great brewpub, food is good and the beer is great. About a block from that is a new place, Equinox Brewing...it's attached to my LHBS....I know the owners and staff pretty well. Very cool little place. The beers are great as well and the have a beautiful beer garden in the back, on nice days they open up the doors to the brewery and you can watch them in action. Deffinetley check it out.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
doobliebop
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

+1 equinox... how the hell did I forget about them?!

I absolutely love their business model... a small brewery attached to a "sister business" homebrew store. If you like any beer at the brewery, tell the guys in the homebrew store, and they'll print you off the recipe. F'n awesome!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobliebop View Post
+1 equinox... how the hell did I forget about them?!

I absolutely love their business model... a small brewery attached to a "sister business" homebrew store. If you like any beer at the brewery, tell the guys in the homebrew store, and they'll print you off the recipe. F'n awesome!
that is an awesome business model I hope I can stop by, we'll see how much beer cation I can get in before the wifey is pushed to the limits. My boy should love all the stuff to look at though.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
jkarp

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Do lunch at Falling Rock Tap House (the food ain't half bad) and then pop by Great Divide only a few blocks away. Their tour is usually pretty fun and their beer is great.