Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help! Diseased grape wine!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help! Diseased grape wine!

This fall I made my first batch of wine from my home grown grapes. I bottled about 2 month ago. The 1/2 bottle that was consumed at bottling time tasted great! Tonight I took a look at the bottles, and all have something that appears to be growing in them. The are what appear to be small clearish-brown spheres, heavier that the wine, sticking together. Approximate sphere size is 1/32". In one bottle they appear to be growing from the cork in a stick-like pattern about 1" long up the neck. The bottles have been stored at a 30 degree angle with the corks down.

Any idea what this could be? I am just sick! I have been nursing these vines along for 4 years, and this is my first batch of true home grown stuff. Please help!!!

I used Sodium Metabisulfite for sanitation through the whole process, as well as adding campden tabs at every other racking. I also added sorbate and campden at bottling.

On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Secondary:Honey Blonde
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde

Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)
Old 02-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6404 Times on 4563 Posts
Likes Given: 1747

I have no idea what that is, but it certainly sounds like an infection. I'd open one, pour it out and smell it and take a closer look at it just to figure out what it is.

I assume you did everything "right" and didn't bottle too early, although I've never bottled a wine until it was at least 8 months old. And your sanitation sounds fine.

I wish I could help you with this- but I really have no idea what it could be
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!