Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cleaning kegs and lines

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
cheesewiz6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaning kegs and lines

Just finished my keezer. I have seen kits for cleaning lines but what I was planning on doing was using one step in the keg 3 gallons of water and three table spoons. Setting it upright for 5 mins flipping it for 5 more. Hooking it up to the lines and filling them letting it sit for 5 more mins Flush it through the rest of the system.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never tried one step, but I'll tell you how I do it.

I usually clean my lines and taps about once a month. When I empty a keg I rinse it out good and then put about 1/2 gallon of hot tap water in it, pressurize with a couple of quick blasts of CO2 and run about a quart through each line & tap. Next, I mix 1/2 gallon of BLC in hot tap water, pressurize and run about a pint through each line & tap. Let soak for an hour or more, run the rest of the BLC through, rinse keg well and fill it half way up with cold water and run at least a gallon through each line & tap to rinse.

After that, I disassemble my taps and soak them in recovered BLC for 1/2 hour and rinse well. When you hook the beer lines back up to the kegs, just draw enough out of each tap to flush the water out.

Bob

Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 45 Posts

I use a $7 yard sprayer with a ball lock fitting jerry rigged on the end and pump one-step through.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
Never tried one step, but I'll tell you how I do it.

I usually clean my lines and taps about once a month. When I empty a keg I rinse it out good and then put about 1/2 gallon of hot tap water in it, pressurize with a couple of quick blasts of CO2 and run about a quart through each line & tap. Next, I mix 1/2 gallon of BLC in hot tap water, pressurize and run about a pint through each line & tap. Let soak for an hour or more, run the rest of the BLC through, rinse keg well and fill it half way up with cold water and run at least a gallon through each line & tap to rinse.

After that, I disassemble my taps and soak them in recovered BLC for 1/2 hour and rinse well. When you hook the beer lines back up to the kegs, just draw enough out of each tap to flush the water out.

Bob
This

I do the same thing everytime I kick a keg, which is about once a month.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter