3rd batch done.. I may be catching on..
So did my 3rd batch Thursday morning before heading out to the pub. I did the Coopers Wheat Beer kit with the "alcohol boost" from Austin Brewing. This was my first try at a few new things so I wanted a nice easy kit. The Coopers kit was cake.
This is my first run with my new magnetic stirrer. I did my starter Tuesday night and just left it on the stirrer until I was ready for it on Thursday morning. Dispite my bad luck with them, I used a Wyeast 3333: German Wheat. It's been over 48 hours now since I pitched and there is still a steady stream of bubbles coming through the airlock, so I think it worked this time.
Another first for me was aerating. I picked up a $10 aquarium pump. It's for 15-30 gallon tanks and has two output hoses. I zippy tied the hoses to a clean and sterilized metal rod I made from a coat hanger. I let it aerate for about 40 minutes.
Finally, sadly also a first, I remember to take my OG reading before adding the yeast! 1.056
I also stumbled on a way to cool my wart in a decent amount of time. I leave the stopper on the sink about 3/4th on. I can then adjust the water flow to where it's can just perfectly keep it refilled. Once I got down to 115F I topped it off with the 2 gallons of pre-chilled water and I was sitting comfortably at 80F. It dropped a few more degrees when I added the pre-hopped Coopers extract.
Next up is a partial mash IPA and then I may try my hand at an AG. Thanks for all the help and advice over the past month!
Keg 1 : Castle Dea Oatmeal Stout
Keg 2 : What About Bock
Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat