What are you spending your tax refund on? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you spending your tax refund on?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

I have to pay in.......

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Flagstaff, Arizona
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

We also got a bunch back for 2010 since we had our first baby and he had some health probs and ended up in the ICU for about 3 weeks. he is fine now but we got breaks on all the money we spent on med bills plus the credit for a new dependent. we plan to save the money til summer to get the house painted and put in some grass in the backyard for the little guy to enjoy. I think I'll squirrel a little away for a plate chiller and/or a mill tho.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
Whut

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Peoria, AZ
Liked 1880 Times on 1720 Posts

Refund, what's a refund?

Whut is a very logical person. Just ask him. Fedora

Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #24
strat_thru_marshall

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I bought 60ft of stainless tube...a welder...some new burners... build thread coming soon....

Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Marion. Va
Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
W2 employees with variable compensation can't predict how much to withhold since their bonus will be taxed at 38%, probably higher than their marginal rate.

In my case I decided to install a ground source heat pump in December which triggers a 30% tax credit with no cap. So while I typically would like to not get a refund, I did get a very large one this year.

If I had zero variable compensation I could and would be extremely close to 0 owed (either way) at the end of the year.
Im in that catagory (variable comp) but always make sure I get no refund at all!!

We got a huge credit for a new "energy star" roof ourselves, that was a nice perk!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
Hokie_Brewer
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Falls Church, VA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm 23 and just graduated college last may. I was taxed at the normal withholding rate but only worked for 6 months last year (started my job in July). So I got a BUNCH of money back! It was really nice this year, but I'm not counting on it next year.

As a present to myself I bought a 2 faucet keg kit, chest freezer and wort chiller!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #27
flairman
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Bedford, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Why do you get a refund anyways? Its YOUR money, YOU gave it to the gov't & they mismanaged it for a whole year, then gave it back to yuh.

I owed quite a bit this year b/c I made some great returns on a few investments, but I knew about it ahead of time, so I had the money saved back!
I would agree with you. I try and plan my taxes so I owe $300 - $500 or so. This is the first year I have had my tax overpayment reimbursed in a long time. We, my wife and I, did not plan it that way. Due to a death in the family we received a fairly significant inheritance. In keeping with our beliefs this lead to a 5 figure donation to our church which in turn left us with a sizable tax refund. The remainder of the inheritance paid for a new kitchen.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
Sir-Brews-Alot
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I worked part-time most of the yeast last year.
Well the good news is you still have homebrewing on the mind.