Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #741
captainjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used a thermometer like that without issue - just make sure it's in your boil for > 15 mins so that it won't contaminate anything. Thermometers vary.... some are very accurate, some are less so - but that will be enough to get you started.

If you are getting used propane tanks, make sure someone checks them out who knows what they're doing. You don't want something that's been tampered with or is past it's prime.

I always use two tanks so that I have one standing by. Nothing is worse than losing your boil half way through!

Best of luck, and enjoy!
Jay

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #742
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
I have used a thermometer like that without issue - just make sure it's in your boil for > 15 mins so that it won't contaminate anything. Thermometers vary.... some are very accurate, some are less so - but that will be enough to get you started.

If you are getting used propane tanks, make sure someone checks them out who knows what they're doing. You don't want something that's been tampered with or is past it's prime.

I always use two tanks so that I have one standing by. Nothing is worse than losing your boil half way through!

Best of luck, and enjoy!
Jay
yeah, I usually check the valves before I install a new tank anyways, and always make sure the stamp is up to date on the bottom before refilling. guy said he's had them for only about a year though so I doubt anything's wrong with them. for $7.50 I can just turn them in to be exchanged at Home Depot for like $17.50 so win win either way (since new tanks cost between $29.99-$49.99 here

Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #743
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
This is the same kind of thermometer that I use. There is a nut behind the dial (at the top of the stem) that you can use to calibrate the thermometer. Put it in boiling water and adjust it to read 212F (or whatever your altitude-adjusted boiling temperature is).

Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #744
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Took a hit in the chops today. First BIAB went well with 68% efficiency and when I went to make my first saison today I was pretty confident. I was very disappointed after a hour at 154F and 10 min @168F I ended up at a extremely low 60% efficiency with the grain bill below. I'll ramp up the sugar I was going to add from a pound to a pound and a half to partially cover my ass, but I'm really sad and concerned with this result. Won't be doing any more BIAB's unless I can figure this out.

#'s 0z.
4 0 Belgian Pilsner Malt
2 0 Belgian Pale
1 8 Briess Munich Malt
1 0 Wheat, Red
0 8 Honey Malt
0 6 Flaked Oats

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #745
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

with previous experience, i am finding that stirring is the key.
stir at dough in. for two minutes.
stir at mash out. for two minutes.

efficiency = way up.
without it? 60 is what you are looking at, or less...
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #746
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Took a hit in the chops today. First BIAB went well with 68% efficiency and when I went to make my first saison today I was pretty confident. I was very disappointed after a hour at 154F and 10 min @168F I ended up at a extremely low 60% efficiency with the grain bill below. I'll ramp up the sugar I was going to add from a pound to a pound and a half to partially cover my ass, but I'm really sad and concerned with this result. Won't be doing any more BIAB's unless I can figure this out.

#'s 0z.
4 0 Belgian Pilsner Malt
2 0 Belgian Pale
1 8 Briess Munich Malt
1 0 Wheat, Red
0 8 Honey Malt
0 6 Flaked Oats

crush crush crush... you want those grains damn near pulverized. If you get your grains pre-crushed, have them double crushed. if you crush them yourself, adjust and crush finer.
if it doesn't look this fine OR finer then you'll suffer in extraction. I get 75-83%. Stirring helps and so does squeezing but the crush is the most important. (You also need to accurately measure the amount of post boil liquid. being off by .5 gallons will throw the numbers off )

Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #747
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
crush crush crush... you want those grains damn near pulverized. If you get your grains pre-crushed, have them double crushed. if you crush them yourself, adjust and crush finer.
Thanks fellows. I added 1.5#'s table sugar (up from a pound) and 6oz. turbinado and hit 1.058 OG. It may be a little thin, but the oats and wheat ought to help, and the fact it has lemon peel, rosemary, and a saison yeast going for it might cover my butt on this one.

Will do on the stirring, but I really think I did near to that?

I had the grains crushed and bagged as a batch by Austin H. S. and it looked OK, but probably not as fine as the pic. I can run them through the trusty Corona as big a pain as that is .

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #748
McBrewskie
Recipes 

Liked 310 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I have two kettles and am considering a igloo cooler with a false bottom. Is there any reason I couldn't mash in the cooler, drain the wort into one of my kettles and then put my sparge water in on top of the grains still in the cooler for the ten minutes and then combine that wort with the initial mash wort by draining and pressing the sparge and grains? Process would look like this.

1. Bring water to strike temp in kettle 1.
2. Mash in cooler.
3. Bring sparge water to temp in kettle 2.
4. Drain wort from mash back into kettle 1.
5. Add sparge water to grains in cooler.
6. Let stand for the 10 minutes.
7. Drain new wort into kettle 1 with original wort and press grains.
8. Start boil.

Seems like it would work well to me and no lifting of grains and the like.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #749
Forrest-hunters
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, I have read 15 of the 27 pages here and will be reading the rest in the next day or so. Am i to assume this is really as easy as i am reading. I have a 35 quart turkey frier (8.75 GALLONS) and a 13# grain bill. I want a 5 gallon bottle volume and a 5.5 gallon to fermentor volume and will be doing a secondary onto 2#'s of frozen blueberries. Here is my plan.

5.5 gallons to fermentor
.075 gallons for 13# grain(.975) or round up to 1 gallon
1.5 gallon boil off
5 gallon trub loss. May be high estimate here.

8 gallons total for recipe. Being I can't fit all the grain and 8 gallons in the frier at once I will put 6 gallons in and bring up to strike temp of say 165 stir grains in for a mash temp of 151. Let that sit for 60 minutes and if patience allows 90 minutes. After that with grain in bring up to 170 and remove grains and put on rack over pot. Poor the last 2 gallons slowly over the grains at 170 degrees and let drip for a bit and then squeeze the Hell out the bag and boil as normal?

Just trying to dumb it down so I can understand.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #750
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushdrew42 View Post
with previous experience, i am finding that stirring is the key.
stir at dough in. for two minutes.
stir at mash out. for two minutes.

efficiency = way up.
without it? 60 is what you are looking at, or less...
Yup, I have exactly the same experience.