BIAB Brewing (with pics) - Page 43 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #421
Mysticmead
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


weight of grain x absorption + boil off +trub loss + batch size = water needed.

try 10.5 x .074 + boil off + trub loss + batch size.

for me that would be 10.5 x .074 =.777 (round it to .75 gallon) + 1.5 gallon + .25 gallon + 5.50 gallon = 8 gallons of water needed. now of course that won't fit you 7.5 gallon pot much less the grains. What I would do it have 4 gallons of water in the 7.5 gallon pot, add the grains and mash, then transfer to another pot with the remaining water to dunk sparge. or get a bigger pot

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #422
jr14
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
CT
Posts: 61


Thanks mysticmead. I actually read all 42 pages and I know this is approximately the tenth time you've posted that equation.

I actually have it on a post it note on my wall.

I'm going with your equation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #423
jr14
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
CT
Posts: 61


Well, I feel a little silly. I can always bring 6 gallons of water up to mash temp, then slowly add the grains. If the water gets too high, I can just open the spigot and let some water out.

Then I can heat my 2nd kettle of sparge water, and top up after the mash in complete.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #424
stux
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Sydney, NSW
Posts: 94
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jr14 View Post
Well, I feel a little silly. I can always bring 6 gallons of water up to mash temp, then slowly add the grains. If the water gets too high, I can just open the spigot and let some water out.

Then I can heat my 2nd kettle of sparge water, and top up after the mash in complete.
Better to take the water out first, put it in your second pot, add the grains, then add back the water.

I don't know it in US units, but grain displaces about 0.7L per KG.

So

Max Strikewater in L = Max Volume of Kettle in L - (Kilograms of Grain * 0.7)

Then when you've worked out your total water, subtract your strike water volume and use the remaining water to sparge with, doing it this way should get you 80-85% efficiency into your kettle
__________________
For in-depth BIAB info try http://biabrewer.info


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #425
jr14
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
CT
Posts: 61


Thanks stux. In US, Your equation looked something like this to me.

Converted Grain Displacement .18 Pounds per gallon

Max Strikewater in Gal = Max Volume of Kettle in Gal (7.5 for me) - (Pounds of Grain (10.5 for me)* .18)

This = 1.89 Gal (I rounded up to 2). So I'm going to start with 5.5 Gal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #426
Riseabovebb
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Rockville, MD
Posts: 60
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Hey all - looking for some help regarding my ability to brew the HopSlam clone recipe offered by Schweaty. Looking to do this as a no-sparge, but not sure if I have the capacity.

What I have available:

44Qt Bayou Classic boil kettle (with matching basket)

Grain bill per Schweaty is 19.5 lbs. with a starting boil size of 7.11 gallons. I used the formula offered by MysticMead a few posts above to determine my strike volume and came up with 8.69 gallons (I used Mystic's trub and evaporation figures as I'm new to BIAB).

I've looked at the 'Can I Mash It?' calculator on rackers.org (Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators), but I'm not 100% sure of the mash thickness ratio. I know I would enter 19.5 in the weight field. For the mash thickness, would I take 8.69 Gallons x 4 = 34.76 Qts and divide the 34.76qts by19.5lbs to get a 1.78 mash thickness ratio?

Using 19.5 lbs and 1.78 mash thickness ratio in the calculator tells me I would need 10.24gallons worth of space. If my math is correct, and 10.24 gallons of space is needed, should I attempt this (no sparge) in an 11 gallon kettle including the basket? I'm I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #427
Antler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 711
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jr14
Well, I feel a little silly. I can always bring 6 gallons of water up to mash temp, then slowly add the grains. If the water gets too high, I can just open the spigot and let some water out.

Then I can heat my 2nd kettle of sparge water, and top up after the mash in complete.
What I did when doing my first BIAB 6 gallon batch, was mash with ~4 gallons, then topped up to my pre boil amount after the mash.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #428
JimTheHick
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Iowa city, Iowa
Posts: 559
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler

What I did when doing my first BIAB 6 gallon batch, was mash with ~4 gallons, then topped up to my pre boil amount after the mash.
Or sparge with the two gallons. It's often mentioned that BIAB is no sparge, but damn it's pretty easy to pour the extra two gallons back through the bag while it rests on a grate over top of the kettle while heating to boil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #429
Seven
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,539
Liked 166 Times on 79 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
Hey all - looking for some help regarding my ability to brew the HopSlam clone recipe offered by Schweaty. Looking to do this as a no-sparge, but not sure if I have the capacity.

What I have available:

44Qt Bayou Classic boil kettle (with matching basket)

Grain bill per Schweaty is 19.5 lbs. with a starting boil size of 7.11 gallons. I used the formula offered by MysticMead a few posts above to determine my strike volume and came up with 8.69 gallons (I used Mystic's trub and evaporation figures as I'm new to BIAB).

I've looked at the 'Can I Mash It?' calculator on rackers.org (Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators), but I'm not 100% sure of the mash thickness ratio. I know I would enter 19.5 in the weight field. For the mash thickness, would I take 8.69 Gallons x 4 = 34.76 Qts and divide the 34.76qts by19.5lbs to get a 1.78 mash thickness ratio?

Using 19.5 lbs and 1.78 mash thickness ratio in the calculator tells me I would need 10.24gallons worth of space. If my math is correct, and 10.24 gallons of space is needed, should I attempt this (no sparge) in an 11 gallon kettle including the basket? I'm I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
I brewed this exact same recipe using a 10-gallon kettle. My kettle was definitely maxed out but it worked. This turned out to be one of the best beers I have made so far. You should be able to do it with your 11-gallon kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #430
jr14
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
CT
Posts: 61


Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick

Or sparge with the two gallons. It's often mentioned that BIAB is no sparge, but damn it's pretty easy to pour the extra two gallons back through the bag while it rests on a grate over top of the kettle while heating to boil.
This is exactly what I was going to do as I had it suspended above the kettle.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another first BIAB stunsm BIAB Brewing 12 03-17-2013 09:35 PM
Anyone BIAB? ultravista All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 72 08-31-2012 12:50 AM
1st AG, 1st BIAB results w/ pics mattmcl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-13-2011 01:48 AM
A nice Podcast on BIAB from one of the Pioneers of BIAB gunner65 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-26-2011 01:24 AM
Brew day - brewing a duvel clone! (pics attached) Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-22-2007 02:29 PM


Forum Jump